I just checked my bank account online and I am furious at the Red Owl!
The Red Owl is this little sports bar right near our house. Sometimes, Greg and I walk over there and have a drink or two, sit and talk on the patio and then walk home again. I like their logo, which is the face of a cartoon red owl. (I know, you wouldn’t have guessed they’d use the owl thing, would you?) For whatever reason, I am always rooting for the place to do well and not go out of business. I like that there’s a bar like that down the street that’s independently owned; kind of a dive but not so bad, either.
We went over there on Saturday night after we got home from seeing “Brick.” I was in a happy mood, for the most part. I like going to the movies and hanging out with Trish and everyone else, and I was still riding a happy high from depositing a check into my bank account that was for an amount that was roughly my yearly salary plus another half-year of salary. I decided I was buying the drinks that night.
So, anyway, we had two beers. Total. As in, one for me and one for him. Not much, you know? My first clue that something could potentially be amiss with this evening was the surly bartender. She was obviously not in the mood for being friendly to the customers in any way, shape or form. When we got to the Red Owl, Greg went to the men’s room and I walked innocently up to the bar. I saw they had High Life on draft, and it was a beer I hadn’t tried yet, so I asked Surly if I could “get a High Life.” She shot me a nasty look and said, “What do you want it in?” Honestly, I haven’t ordered many drinks at a bar, and I am very naïve when it comes to mugs, pints, etc. I have lived a cloistered life for 30 years, and have only come out into the open in the last one. Cut me some slack.
I was flustered, my confidence shot. I really wanted to be the chick who got the beers while he was in the bathroom. I wanted to be slick about it. Nope. I didn’t know what I wanted it in. Which was bigger? Which is more expensive? I heard myself yell back to her, “A pint,” since I had a clue how big that would be. She got it and slammed it down in front of me with a frown—a real, honest to God frown. “So are you paying cash, or what?”
“I’ll start a tab,” I meekly offered, and handed her my debit card. She took it and stalked off to another part of the bar before I could even say I’d like another beer for my guy. What crawled up her ass and gave her colon the time of day, I’ll never know.
Anyway, Greg ended up getting a beer from Surly after all. We went outside to enjoy the ambiance of the lovely, peaceful Red Owl.
We sat on the patio and tried to talk, but there was a loud, dirtbaggy table of trash sitting out there too, and they were doing that super loud drunk-screaming thing. It was amusing at first, especially since they looked like they were wanna-be bikers, and wanna-be bikers are funny; and also, one guy had a Brett Michaels look going on with the bandana and the hat, and he was screaming out quotes from “Ace Ventura” and “Anchorman.” However, it quickly got annoying, and we had to move inside to escape the drunken hollering and guffawing.
While we were out there on the patio, Surly left and she said as she was leaving, “I switched your tab to another server,” and that was that. OK, no problem. Besides, the new server turned out to be a lot nicer and didn’t make me feel like a brain-damaged cave hermit come out for the night to try “the drinking.”
When it was time to leave, I closed out the HUGE tab of the cost of two beers. It was $6.00. I added on some tip—like two dollars, for I am not generous with the bar tips since I don’t know what I’m doing, and I still was smartin’ from Surly’s condescending attitude. I got my receipt and we walked home again, happy as little clams. Clams that can walk, wear pants and think about things; clams that have debit cards, the power of the English language and the ability to shower. (We are so much better than clams!)
So anyway, today I was shocked to see that the Red Owl is attempting to take $16 out of my account. What the frig! We had two beers, $3 each. I have a feeling it’s the work of Surly. I bet she ran our tab through before she left. And then the new server ran it through again. But usually, that would show up as two transactions. There’s just one listed there, and it’s for $16. I guess the newer and nicer server was either stupid and hit the wrong number in, or just mean in a whole other way. Curses upon you all, Red Owl bartenders!
I don’t have the receipt anymore—I think I threw it out yesterday when I cleaned my purse out. Who keeps a bar receipt? (Maybe everyone does. Again, here’s me with the lack of bar-sense.) I bet it says $8.00. Or, I could be dumb and it did read $16 and I was too lazy to look at what I was being handed. Either way, I am not sure what to do here. Can I just go into the bar and ask for $8.00 back, without a receipt? The most I can get is a printout of my balance page.
And is it worth further Red Owl embarrassment and shaming, to go back there and make a fuss over $8.00? I am SO bad at things like this. I think I try too hard to do that, to “not cause a fuss.” I need to grow a spine and stand up for myself and my bank account. Sure, it’s fat with home sale proceeds at the moment, but that doesn’t mean I feel like inadvertently donating $8.00 to the Surly and Stupid Servers Fund. What should I do? Forget it and shake it off, or go there and ask them to fix it?
Is it lame that I even posted this? I don’t know. All I know is: Stupid Red Owl! Piss on you. I’ll drink in my living room from now on.
9 comments:
The bar has to keep your signed receipt on file for disputes like this because you could go back in and say you signed for $6 plus $2 tip and have it really be something different.
BTW a dollar a drink is a good tip.
If your absolutly sure that you are right, I would say go for it. that bitch will probably be written up for it. Consequently, if you aren't sure, how embarrassing would that be to go in and find out that you were wrong. You could always just call and say I have a question about my credit card receipt... But DON'T tell them what it says.. make them tell you so you can say.. oh okay or WHOA mister thats wrong.
I'm agreeing with A and C on this one.
Part of me wants to tell you to never go there again, but it may have just been an honest mistake. If there are any other places around, I would probably test a few new haunts out.
Eight dollars may not be a lot...but it's the principle of the thing now.
Is this a pending or posted transaction?
If it's pending, I'd wait until it posts, verify that the amount is still incorrect, then dispute it with the bar. Sometimes the amount displayed as pending from bars and restaurants can vary from the acutal amount spent. Sometimes they'll run a card for more than the amount to cover the addition of tip. Sometimes they put a hold on an amount just for starting a tab to make sure the card is valid and can cover it. I've had $60 holds on $12 tabs before -- talk about happy.
Chances are it will all work out right.
Armin T.
Definitely, definitely call and question it. I waited tables for 3 years. Servers have to turn in their copies of all sales at the end of every night. Somebody has yours on file somewhere.
People used to call the place where I worked and complain- all the time. You have no idea the things people take issue with. Your experience is quite reasonably something to question- you can even complain about Surly's behavior.
Every time somebody would call and complain where I worked, the boss would descend the stairs of his office demand to see the server, take him/her with him to the place where all the previous day's receipts were kept and go through every tab until he found it. Talk about the third degree...
Let us know how things turn out!
Funny thing, when we ran tabs, we opened them on the computer, and held the card (or if it was a regular customer we didn't ask for a card, we let them pay when they were ready to leave) but we never scanned the card until someone was ready to close out their tab and leave.
The transaction is still pending as of this morning, so I can't do much about it until it posts. If it posts for the full $16, then I will go in and bitch em out.
Is it wrong that on some level, I do want it to post wrong so I CAN go bitch someone out?? I just need someone to beat on these days-- and the Red Owl staff could do. I'll let you know if Blood Flows Red at the Red Owl or not... keep checking back!
I hate when that happens!
Our local Red Lobster (I know, it's sad, but we love our Admiral's Feast out here) is famous for double charging us. I hate it.
BUT - is it a coincidence that they both have RED in the name?? What's that? I believe it's the wiff of COMMUNISM.
Just as I was getting ready to start my own, brand-new Cold War against the communist bastards, they came back from the abyss...
The amount posted was $7.50. (Guess I only tipped $1.50) What a wonderful day! Ha HA!
It can take up to 7 days for a transaction to clear after it's 'authorized.' Even, after the charge posts, the authorization can still linger for those 7 days.
If the transaction actually posts for $16, your bank should be able to pull up a receipt to find out what was exactly charged.
If you need any help with it, let me know. I'll rough them up or sick my boys after them. (Also, I work for a credit card company so, I know what your bank and the bar can do and can't do for you.)
Robert-- it's cool, they didn't charge me that amount. However, what can you do about erasing all that pesky "debt" I've accumulated like so much...accumulated stuff?
I think you'll want to help me out here. Perhaps you'd like to see what I do to people/things that don't do what I want. Allow me to introduce you to my little friend...Milk in a Plastic Jug.
Post a Comment