Friday, June 02, 2006

Why am I still here? Everyone else has gone home. It's a Friday. My boss is gone. Yet, here I sit at my lonely little desk in the corner. You know why I am here? It's because I am a total nerd. I am supposed to work until 5:30, and so I shall. I'm too honest for my own good. (I typed "for my own food" first, and that is also true. My food is not deserving of my rectitude!)

Tomorrow is my birthday, yee ha yee haw YEE! That's my new battle cry, in case you were wondering. It replaces "Schlip dap dip dap DOO!" Ask not about my battles, for they are many and they are bloody... you don't want to know.

It's a nice birthday, 31. There isn't the pressure of doing something I'll always remember to commemorate this birthday. Last year I made sure I went out and had some fun, and it was definitely an excellent way to enter my dirty thirties. The only thing I feel like I should do is maybe buy a lottery ticket and make sure 31 is one of the numbers. That's of course if I ever muster the fortitude to actually go down to the Circle K. So lazy.

Tomorrow is not only my birthday, it's... the day the Gravel Gets Spread. Greg has enlisted the help of two trusted friends, David and Laura, to come over and help on Gravel Gets Spread Day, which begins bright and early at 5:00am. In case you don't know, we are placing said gravel in our backyard, which is almost completed. A huge pile of it--17 TONS to be exact, yowzas!-- was delivered today. The Gravel Gets Spread at 5am because it's supposed to hit 110 tomorrow, and let me tell you that no human being should ever be spreading gravel at those temperatures. That's a surefire way to fry your skull and turn stupid.

I wish I could help, I really do. My back is not cooperating with my wishes, though. I threw it out last weekend, again. Today I am still sore and not walking completely right yet. I always forget and try to do things I am not supposed to do with two herniated discs. I hate having this particular affliction because it definitely can knock you out of doing ANYTHING if the pain is bad enough. And I don't like feeling idle. I want to do things and contribute and be useful, damn it. Stupid back.

Well, in other news, I had lunch at a place called the White Chocolate Grill today. Free birthday lunch from the bosslady. I half expected some sort of fondue thing, or weird frou-frou entrees with white chocolate in the recipe somehow, but all they had that was white chocolate was their desserts. I ordered the one dessert that did not have white chocolate in it, ironically. I had the apple pie.

I saw a little bit of "The Office" last night, and I realized something I didn't want to realize: there is a chance that I might get tired of the premise. Anyone else feel like it's a little limited in what they can do? Or is it just me?

I'm also going to be the Publicity Director of this new theater company in town. I met with the main artistic and production directors last night and they were really nice and honest and they seem like they're on the same page that I am when it comes to Community Theater. So we'll see how this goes. Doing publicity for a company is cool, because I can still say that yes, I am involved in theater, but no, I don't have to worry about learning lines or casting a show or finding props. It's an easy way to be involved, for me. I'm excited about it. Check out Insurrection Theater.

It is now almost 5:30, so I am leaving! FIZZZOWWW! I'm outta heeeeere. Like Doug. If you get that reference give yourself a cube of sugar--you've earned it.

Check out this awesome image from Something Awful. I don't know why but the illustration of the skeleton with the ball is killing me:

6 comments:

Robert said...

I feel the same, 31 isn't as special as 30. It's more of a stepping stone rather than a mile stone.

Last year, for the big 3-0, my plan was to have a decent sized party in California. And, it worked out well. This year, on the other hand, meh. I don't really care as much. I don't have any plans or any desire to go anywhere special. What ever happens happens.

Oh, one last thing, when you turn 31 let me know how it is. In a month and a half, it's my turn.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

Happy Birthday!

Robert said...

I found a song that is perfect for the occasion! Sorry, I couldn't track down an obese jailbird that sounds like Michael Jackson, so instead, I'm just posting the lyrics.



Lisa it's your birthday
God bless you this day
To give me the gift to the little sister
And Im proud of you today

Lisa it's your Birthday
Happy Birthday, Lisa
Lisa it's your Birthday
Happy Birthday, Lisa

I wish you love and goodwill
I wish you please and joy
I wish you better than your heart desire
On your first kiss from a boy

Lisa it's your Birthday
Happy Birthday, Lisa
Lisa it's your Birthday
Happy Birthday, Lisa

Yeah!

brianna said...

Hey Lisa!! Happy happy birthday!!! Hope you have a lovely day of watching the spreading of gravel!

Fraulein N said...

Hope your had a very happy birthday! And grave spreading day!

And yes, that exercising skeleton is damn funny.

Smackadocious said...

Happy Birthday (very belatedly. Do forgive).

Matter of fact, I attended a friend's birthday dinner last night, and as people were littering the cake with candles, I noted the infamous "number candles" being put on last: a "2" and a "4."

My friend Danhole looked at them and sobbed.

We beat the birthday boy's ass later on, just on general principle.