Tuesday, January 16, 2007

So here's what happened. I did a Yahoo Images search on the phrase, "Milk Parade," and I thought I would get at least one picture of some milk cartons walking down a street with balloons and streamers, or at least some kids dressed like milk cartons, being in some parade. You know, like if their school was participating in Dairy Appreciation Week or something. At the VERY least, I thought I would find a picture of someone drinking milk while watching a parade.

Those are the images you think you'll find when you do a search like this.

Instead, I was at first surprised and then filled with much glee when I found this picture while performing this search:


I guess this guy has something to do with a band called Milk Parade. Huh. I don't think I've ever heard of them. And when I listened to them, honestly I have to say they just aren't my style. Mostly, I am upset that I don't hear any reference to milk OR parades in their Untitled songs. And I don't know what that guy has to do with any of this. Maybe he is the Marshall of the Milk Parade? Look at those teeth, and that hair. I don't think he would make the ideal candidate for Marshall of the Milk Parade. Sorry. I just don't. I'd pick someone with all their teeth, I know that much. Broken and missing teeth just doesn't do it for me when it comes to milk-related festivities.

At this point you might be wondering why I was looking for "Milk Parade" pictures in the first place. I guess I can tell you, although it's really stupid.

It's because of yesterday's national holiday. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. I was reading some article about the celebrations of his life, and then I ended up reading more about him and some of those great quotes. Honestly, that man was amazing. Simply an incredible spirit and a once-in-a-lifetime type of intellect. I was reminded of what he did for this country, and sad that this was the first Martin Luther King Day without Coretta Scott King (she died last year). My point is, I was reflecting and being absolutely reverant about the man yesterday. I am not trying to be disrespectful of him when I say that the holiday reminds me of milk.

It's because of those pervasive initials. Everywhere I look, I see it abbreviated to "MLK Day". So I add the "i" in, automatically. In my head, I hear "Milk Day" when it's a day that has nothing at all to do with milk. I think this is sad. He was a great man, and because we as a society are in such a damn hurry all the time, we need to abbreviate whatever we can and the result is people end up with a strong milk-association when they see pictures of Martin Luther King, Jr. or even hear a few words of the "I Have a Dream" speech. The words trigger some strange impulse to go find some milk. And preferably cookies to go along with it.

There was a huge electronic road sign over the weekend that was set up to remind drivers of the "MLK PARADE" that was going to take place yesterday. When I saw it, I pointed out the upcoming "Milk Parade" to Greg as we drove by, and since then I have been saying that phrase in my mind. Milk Parade, Milk Parade, Milk Parade! Parade of Milk. The Marching of the Milks. The Two-Percent Promenade. White Days and Creamy, Wholesome Nights: A Tribute to Milk. The Soy and Rice Milk Alternative Procession. Cortege of Calcium.

So that's all I have to talk about right now. God Bless Martin Luther King, Jr., and then, I guess, God can go ahead and bless milk, too.

6 comments:

Christina said...

That man appears to be wearing a prison jumpsuit of some sort. Perhaps Milk Parade played San Quentin, a la Johnny Cash?

Naynayfazz said...

That man is funny. I love the hair.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

Thank you. I will now always think milk when I see MLK.

Mmmm...milk.

Lisa Armsweat said...

Lani-- SO glad I am not alone in this. And try FANTASTIC minds...! We rule.

Tinapopo-- I noticed the prison-looking jumpsuit, too. And I was relieved that someone, somewhere, would have the wherewithall to imprison Milk Parade's old man. We don't need his kind out on the streets, scaring the children and the womenfolk.

Naynay-- I had a crappy day yesterday, and all I know is that when I saw that picture, it made me smile. Thank you, guy.

Pixie-- I love milk! Milk ROCKS. Seriously. It's good stuff.

Jen said...

Wow, you're creative.

Whenever I see those initials, I flash back to my youth, whenever the traffic reports on the radio were all about this or that going on on "MLK" blvd...

Fraulein N said...

Shit. Now I'm going to have a nightmare in which Milkman escapes from prison and comes after me. Tell me he doesn't totally look like he's about to come after you! Damn it, Milkman, quit leering at me like that!