I’ve got to get my hair cut. It’s been approximately five months since my last real trim, and my hair is showing it. The last time, I had layers cut into it so I could do that cool thing with the curling iron; you know, the flipped-out and bouncy-ends look. And it did look nice, when I did it. The key word here is when. In the morning, it’s just too damn hard to be all into the beauty routine. If the morning wasn’t so early, maybe there would be more of a chance I’d be willing to spend more time in there working on my look. But, alas, the morning continues to occur in the morning. I can barely manage to put on moisturizer and a couple of concealer dots on my face. Curling my hair? Um, not quite a priority.
So when I go in for this haircut, I think I want them to chop it off just above the shortest layer. This still leaves my hair long, which is nice, because I like having long hair again and I’m not ready to go short just yet. I’ve also got to get my bangs trimmed again, so I’ll have that done, too, when I go.
The problem is, I don’t know where to go to get a haircut. I never stay with one salon or stylist. I breeze in for one cut and leave, never to return again. I have yet to be really impressed with the job anyone’s done on my hair. Most of the time, I stop into a Supercuts or Great Clips when I have a spare minute and just have it cut there. Of course, that’s a major crapshoot. Sometimes it’s pretty good; I got the long layers cut at a Great Clips before the wedding, and they did look nice. Other times, I walk out with crooked bangs and chopped-up ends. Poor Greg is often charged with straightening out the mess some of these places have made of my bangs. In fact, I find it much better if I just have him trim my bangs for me, since he takes his time and cuts them straight every time. But since the long part of my hair needs to be cut, it’s probably in everyone’s best interest if I just have a professional do it.
Why don’t I complain or tell the stylist I am not happy with the way they cut my hair? Simple: I am too shy, and I hate talking to the stylist more than I have to. Isn’t that so stupid? I mean, I am paying this person to cut my hair, and let’s face it — trimming hair and bangs isn’t really all that hard. Logic says that I should get a decent job when I sit in their chair. I don’t understand myself. I don’t know why I just “take it,” as it were, and pay and leave feeling “ehh” about how I look. All because I ‘don’t want to cause a fuss’ or ‘I don’t want to hold anyone up.’ Like I said already: SO STUPID.
I guess it just boils down to this — I have an issue with sitting in a chair in front of a big mirror for a long period of time, with some person I don’t know touching my hair. I look at myself under that salon light and my skin looks all yellowy and sick; and my hair color always looks so washed out and dull. “Yay, I love looking at this sickly-looking person for an extended period of time!” And I am not comfortable having to make small talk while they do it.
Call me anti-social or unfriendly, but I’m just not good at knowing what to talk about with hair stylists, and when they talk too much, I grow weary. I think I might even unintentionally do that rude sigh that means, “Yeah, now shut up already” when they talk to me. See? I’m not good at this.
Anyway, today one of my goals is to locate a middle-of-the-road salon somewhere in this area and make an appointment to go get this taken care of. I’m trying to change my ways. I want to look put-together and nice, and I want to be a more friendly and normal person. So hopefully, when I go for this upcoming haircut, I will be polite yet assertive; if the cut looks bad, I’m going to say something. Well…to be honest…I will TRY to say something. Baby steps.
Later this weekend, I plan to color my hair. By myself. You don’t want to know how I feel about sitting for hours with chemicals on my head and paying the outrageous price of having my hair colored at a salon. (Insert that Sideshow Bob shudder here: ‘Euuuuuuhhhh.”)
6 comments:
My aunt cuts my hair and always has so I am the worst person to answer this question. I wouldn't know where to begin to find someone else to do the job. And my hair is a bitch, all wavy and nutty. Hmmmm.. maybe ask around to some friends. WHere does Trish get her hair did? Ha, I just said "hair did". Good luck with this. I am sure with a little persistence to can find someone who does a good job.
I meant to say, "you can find someone" I need to find some patience of my own to PROOFREAD.
Yeah, I'm cheap when it comes to my hair. It took me forever before I found a stylist I like. But the last time I went to him he remembered I didn't want my hair washed before the cut (an automatic $20 charge) and I made the comment that I wasn't going to pay the kind of money for a hair washing unless it came with a happy ending. Then I heard crickets and it was pretty unconfortable the rest of the time.
I'm a worse person than NayNay to answer this question because 1.) I LOOOOVE going to the salon, 2.) I've been with the same hair stylist for over 5 years and I sit and talk to her the entire two hours (for a cut and foil) and 3.) I pay waaaay too much to get my hair done. But I'm always happy with it, so I figure it's worth it. My hair is really hard to cut (super curly in some places, wavy in others, poker straight in others) and I've had some bad experiences so I figure I should just pay what I do and leave it to the experts. But, if you want to find a good salon, I would just ask people whose hair you like. If you notice someone's hair looks nice, ask them where they go and if it's expensive (also, check what their definition of expensive is, because I told my mom my place isn't that bad, because it's not compared to a lot of other places in the area, and when she went in to get her hair done she almost fainted when they rung up her total).
Naynay-- When I was growing up my Mom always trimmed my hair, and I think that's where the feeling of "I don't need to pay for someone to do a little thing like this" came from. I don't know. Of course, I did get my many perms and my wonderful feathered haircut in '83 done in salons, so-- um, I just realized I don't have a point to make here. Sorry to shit on my reply to your comment. :)
Mad Ethel-- See, now I would have laughed at that happy ending joke. Too bad I wasn't sitting in the next chair over that day. I'd probably go for the high five. And then...there'd be even louder crickets, 'cuz now it's two pervs instead of just one. :)
Christina-- In a strange way, I envy you and the other ladies who really enjoy the salon experience, because I think that in theory it sounds pretty nice, really. My best friend gets her hair done all the time and it's the same deal for her, too. One time I spent a fortune at Toni & Guy to get what was probably the BEST haircut I ever had from a really funny flaming-gay guy, along with a sweet color job, even though the bill was almost $200. I didn't care b/c I looked so fucking great when I walked out of there. I went back a second time to get the hair trimmed and re-dyed, and had the same guy who did it the first time, and here I was thinking it would be another fantastic experience...and it WASN'T. He had an attitude for whatever reason, and did a sloppy dye job and sort-of chastised me for keeping my bangs b/c they weren't really "in" at the moment. ARGH, And so, I was back to the boxes of Feria and the random wanderings into Supercuts. Sigh. Maybe I am just cursed to wander the earth, never experiencing the feeling of "home" when it comes to stylists. Now isn't that sad as hell? Boo hoo for me.
I do what was suggested to me a long time ago. Find someone you trust, whose hair you like, and ask them who does it. That's how I found my longstanding stylist. I still go to her when I'm back home. Here, I had no result with the "ask someone" question because I didn't know anybody, and if I did ask someone they were the "I cut it myself when I absolutely can't stand it anymore" variety. Then there were the "nobody in Houston cuts long hair" comments... WTF? I found my new favorite stylist (who must surely be the long lost unidentical twin of my longstanding one) when they opened a full-service spa next door to The Husband's workplace. It costs me twice as much as it does back home but it's worth it. She does it exactly right- the same way my other girl does.
Bangs. I gave up having them when humidity prevented them from staying out of my way. Also I gave them up because I prefer to cut them myself when they get "too long" which is a very fine few milimeters off from "just perfect!" and my stylist was forever trying to "fix" what I'd done to them when I didn't think I'd done anything wrong. I preferred my method to hers. I read about it in a magazine. Who cares if they were jagged? That's what happens when you cut INTO the clump of bangs in order to create some texture and fullness... yeah...
My experiences with the cheap places is that I will never go that route again. Find a mid-range place. Not the cost-efficient family place but not the "you must be a celeb to afford to go here" ones, either.
Post a Comment