Today is my sister's birthday, so I wanted to publically wish her a happy birthday. Or should I say, Schoenes Geburtstag in our secret sister-language (OK, it's just German). One year she gave me a book of matches that said "Happy Birthday, You Bitch!" in big bold letters on the cover. I still have it, still love it, and still think it's fun to say that every year on her birthday. So, Happy Birthday, You Bitch! (Giggle giggle)
I'll always love my little Schwester (more of that pesky German). We've been friends since she was born, I think. I know I pushed the friendship thing pretty hard back then...I was a sad, lonely child... but maybe inside her little infant-head she was thinking, "Oh, Christ, why is that weird girl with the bowl-cut bothering me again? What a loser!" but she didn't lack the language skills to tell me. Well, if that was true, I guess my persistence paid off because we became friends by the time she was about a year old. Good for me, otherwise I'd be totally sociopathic by now, because I really had NO FRIENDS as a child until I started kindergarten. Not a lot of kids in the neighborhood, no other kids in my family--NONE. My baby book always cracks me up, because my Mom wrote things in it for several of my first years, marking down milestones, etc., and one of the things in there is a space to write in "Best Friends" and instead of the names of some other sticky-faced toddlers I played with, she wrote in "Buffy". That was the dog.
I am digressing in a big way. Must be because it's Friday and work circumstances have mushed my brain into lumpy pudding. But yes, Trish is a great sister and I am really glad that we still get excited for our weekly get-togethers where we eat some dinner, watch something like Flight of the Conchords, Mr. Wrong, Annie or Arrested Development and free-associate and laugh for hours about pretty much nothing. It's kind of cool and I feel lucky to have that. So thanks, Trish, for being fun, giving me craft advice and ideas, being "right there" with the perfect movie or TV quote at any given moment, and mostly for the friendship. I came for the friendship and I'm stayin' for the cupcakes! There WILL be cupcakes, right? Because I mean, I love cupcakes.
Enjoy your day! We all raise a glass to you!

(OK, so this is a photo of a past drink-raising, but it illustrates my point so here it is. Actually, I stole this photo from your Flickr page. So, I guess, thanks for that.)
7 comments:
Awww, I'm touched, Schwester!! You're the best! Thanks for keeping me company for the past 29 years. I'm always happy to return the favor.
But you did have friends when you were little besides me, who can forget Marilyn, that little deaf girl whose house smelled like a wet dog and whose family never ate sugar. She was fun! Boy-howdy!
Thanks again. I lvoe you very mush!
"Oh Michael, you're such a Howdy-Do-Dat!"
I meant to say "love", you got that, right? "Lvoe" sounds like Bel Biv Devoe, and you know I AIN'T on board with them.
:)
I don't count Marilyn. That was a one-sided relationship since she was deaf, kind of retarded and couldn't eat sugar. I can't make a serious friendship with someone who can't eat sugar, come on. Speaking of sugar, "...it's easy ropin' cattle up at Sugarfoot." ;)
Bel Biv DeMoe, that's what we should start calling YOU.
Hey, I found the lyrics to Sugarfoot! I guess we were wrong with our transcribing, check 'em out:
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/televisiontvthemelyrics-sciencefictionwesterns/sugarfoot.htm
Isn't that weird? I knew it was a real thing!
Hey Trish and Lisa: Sorry for barging in on all this sisterly chit chat, but I had to wish you a happy birthday. Did Lisa give you a tee shirt that says, "It's m*ther f***in booze time!! ?
No, but I wish she did!!!
Thanks for the birthday wishins, Leezer!
Happy Birthday Trish! From the looks of that picture you and Lisa would be totally fun to hang out with. :)
Post a Comment