Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I have been thinking about the act of blogging, and what it means. Mostly I was thinking about blogs written by other people, and how very much I love them. Why are blogs so addictively entertaining?

I guess it's just that little glimpse into people's lives; the thing we all like about blogs. I also love to read my list of "regulars" (see right) and follow what's been happening in their lives and just laugh at the random mutterings and stories they tell. I like the strange friendships that have come from blogging. I have never met so many of the people I regularly read and/or comment on, but I would love to. One day after I get sickly-rich I will take a Blogger Tour and go visit the cities where you/ they all live. I will take you out to eat and we can drink or something, and then I promise I won't pester you to come back to your place, where I might clog up your toilet with something foul or pee on your bed. Nah. I know my limits and I won't overstay my welcome. I just think it would be fun to see the bloggers in person. And that also includes the ones I already do know, like Rob, who have moved away to a foreign land. I need to see you again; and the family, the dog, the house...

Well, as for me, I blog because it makes the day go faster. It's a way to just blab about some of the crap that floats around in my head. It's fun and I consider it a hobby. Is that odd? I mean, is "blogging" a hobby or just a thing we do? When I hear the word hobby I think of (Holly Hobby first, but that's not where I want to go with this, right now) doing something like painting, gardening, making model airplanes or something. On second thought, I think I want to retire the word "hobby" from my vocabulary. It feels a little too 1950s for me, and not in the cool rockabilly 1950s way, either. Just the dork way. So, in closing, blog= not a hobby. Just a something I do "for sport."

I have given it piles of thought, and effort, and I have decided that NaNoWriMo is probably not my thing. I was just as excited as anyone when I signed up, and even when I wrote my first chapter and posted it. But when I tried to pound out those crazy word counts on subsequent nights, a funny thing happened: my writing truly sucked. It was dead, it was forced, it was boring to read over and I realized I was cheating this story by going into it with this odd notion of "gotta write a certain wordcount everyday." I was doing something I never did before-- I was writing a few sentences, hitting the word counter. Write a few more, word counter again. This was distracting and not at all the mindframe I needed to be in to have FUN writing this book.

I work well with deadlines. I love deadlines, actually, and I like to do that last-minute crazy writing. But something about the flow of this story, and the way the character's voice needs to develop... it just was not working on the NaNoWriMo mindset. I did think about starting another book, but I think I would run into the same problem. I know other writers of blogs have mentioned they can't turn off their internal editor as they write, and I do that, too. Once I got critical of the new material I was writing, and analyzing it (I drive home from work thinking about the book, what this little detail could have meant and did I want to draw that particular metaphor up, and I really should do Google those names to make sure I am not inadvertantly stealing names and places from anywhere, blah blah blah...), and this meant I blocked it up and the fun slipped out somewhere along the line. I refuse to write fiction for anything else BUT FUN. It's my release and my escape and I have been doing it since I was 9. As cool as it would have been to be able to say "Yay! I finished NaNoWriMo!" when I stopped and really thought about it... it wasn't cool enough. What is cooler is to take my time on this story, accept I have things happening in my personal life that are pretty important and also worthy of my time, and enjoy my free time and let a story tell itself.

That being said, I have been working on the story, but it is going to unravel over the course of several months. I am taking this particular pressure off. And it makes me so happy to say that! Writing is all I have ever wanted to do, and I am aware that I am not the greatest writer in the world, but I really don't care. It's just a good time, and it's what I do. NaNoWriMo for me can't be the validation of that. I am already validated!

So anyway. That's all I have for now. But I do have a proposal to make to anyone who is interested:

What do you think of National Post Your Prom Photo Day? I would love to see what you all wore to your proms. Proms are funny things. Even just saying the word "prom" makes you feel like you have a mouth full of mashed potatoes. I thought we could scan and post a picture and tag other people to do it, too. Or just spread the word and everyone does it on, say, November 17. I don't know. Look at me, all wanna be startin' somethin'. Michael Jackson sang a song about me one time. Mamma say, mamma sah, moo mahk koo sah. (SHIT! That is not easy to spell. As you can see, I went phonetic on it. I didn't know what else to do!)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally down with post-your-prom-pic day! Hope I can dig them out by the 17th.

Lisa Armsweat said...

Glad you're in Melanie! And Lani, I was thinking we could extend it beyond prom to include other formal dances, like Homecoming or something. (I don't know where the picture is but I totally wore a Bea Arthur-type grandma dress to one of my homecomings and to this day I wonder what the fuck I was thinking?!) Even if you don't end up posting a picture I am glad you are looking forward to this little "thing".

Matthew said...

Lisa, I really think it's great that even if you won't be really doing NaNoWriMo that you got your story started and are excited about it. I still hope you will share your progress as you go.

As for prom poictures, mine are unexciting because ... well, I'm in a tuxedo. Whoop dee doo. I doubt I have any pictures from prom but that's just as well ... I'd really rather not admit to my prom date ...

Paul said...

I consider blogging a hobby. Mainly because I don't do it at work. It's something I do in my free time, which has caused me to think on a number of occasions that I should do something more productive with my time, but I enjoy it, so I guess that's all that matters. For now.

Brooke said...

Good for you! I'm probably not going to finish nano, either -- I have too many other irons in the fire. It works for some people, and it doesn't for others - or it's just bad timing. I had a much harder time than usual turning my internal editor off this time around, too. But I'm proud of what all of us accomplished.

Re the prom picture: I wish I could, but I think I destroyed all copies. Russ at Frenzied Daddy might have one; he was my prom date. But I don't think his wife would appreciate being asked to dig around in his crap for it...

Christina said...

Oh, man I can't wait for Prom Photo Day! Now i just have to dig one up...

If I can't find a prom photo, can I post a photo from another formal? What are the rules to this activity?

Anonymous said...

So, shall we do this tomorrow or spread the word around a bit first and try to get more people to embarrass themselves?

Lisa Armsweat said...

OK, I think we can change this up a little, to include other formals.

And yes, we should definitely give it a little more time so people can dig out the pictures. I know I have to look through a bunch of boxes to find these photos, myself...

What do you guys think of Formal Friday-- November 25 or December 2? Vote for the day you think will be better.

And then let's spread the word. Yeee-ha!!

Christina said...

Damn, and I had just writting "Prom Day" on my calendar in indelible ink.

I wish I were kidding about that, but sadly...

I vote for November 25th. I can't wait much longer!

Anonymous said...

The only problem with the 25th is that is the day after Thanksgiving so we might lose a lot of those people that only blog at work...

Lisa Armsweat said...

Hmm, I chose Friday for alliteration purposes. Should we go with another day? Because Melanie has a good point about losing the work-bloggers. (Although poor lil' me, I need to work that Friday anyway.)

How about something a little more abstract like Formal 22? (next Tuesday) I am so indecisive on this; maybe I should think twice about trying to start a movement.

Anonymous said...

Why don't we just call "Fall Formal" or in honor of Thanksgiving, "Thank God I'm not in high school any more Day." Then we could have it Tuesday before t-day.

Lisa Armsweat said...

I LOVE that name "Thank God I am Not In High School Anymore Day." I think we have a winner!

Let's do it Tuesday the 22nd! Just in time for turkey day.

I am so excited! Thanks for your help Melanie and Tina-- you were a great Fall Formal committee.

Anonymous said...

Sounds good, I'll post on my blog and get the word out.

Oh, and sorry you have to work the day after t-day, sucks.

Brigita said...

I want to retire the word 'seamstress' My mother keeps suggesting that I find a 'seamstress' to make my wedding dress and I keep telling her no one actually says seamstress anymore. It went out with 'sanitary napkins. So what then? What word could replace seamstress? Stylist? ???

Lisa Armsweat said...

I don't like "seamstress," either. One that I am glad they don't use any more is "cobbler" for the guy who fixes shoes. Cobblers are desserts, not shoe repairmen.

And WHO repairs shoes anymore anyway? Throw them out and go to Payless for a new pair. Sheesh.