Wednesday, January 03, 2007

What's this?! A new post to my blog? No, it can't be! I mean, I had all but given up on ever blogging again. And here I am writing some junk again. I'm glad, because it really seemed like The End for this blog for a little while now!

I just haven't felt like blogging. I know I have no one to answer to, and if I decide to not-blog, that is totally my own business. I think I sometimes expect myself to blog all the time. Shit on that. Truth be told, I don't always want to blog. Sometimes I don't even read the other blogs-- which feels like blasphemy because it's such a part of my standard routine for the past 3+ years-- because my brain just isn't pointed in that direction during those times. Anyway, this New Year I resolve to let go of guilt, obligation and mental clutter.

OK! So...that being said, maybe I should list some of this junk that has been eating up my brain. Maybe, by making it public, I will make myself accountable. I've spent a lot of time not acting, so here are the things I need to get up off my ass and figure out/ do this year:

1) Write more. When I get a story idea, I should jot down the basics as soon as I can, and then write it soon afterwards. Stop stalling and just WRITE.
2) Stop being critical of my writing. If I am constantly editing my own writing as I write, it kind of sucks the fun out of it. But I am one of those people who feels like every sentence I write sometimes is full of grammatical errors, cliches and overused adjectives. I feel sub-par. So that means I often just put off writing altogether. I am going to stop doing this. Write and then edit it later--simple, right?
3) Find magazines, journals, websites to submit my short stories to. I get overwhelmed easily by the mountains of publications out there, and need to just calm down and sort through it all to find a bunch of them that would fit my writing.
4) Re-submit the children's book to at least five more publishers this year.
5) Write query letters. Lots of them.
6) Find potential agents and begin to bug them. Don't panic over the sheer number of literary agencies out there-- just do my homework and find the best ones for my type of fiction.
7) Stop stressing myself out regarding writing! Just remember how much fun it always was to sit down and write when I was younger...and go with it. Don't do it for money, attention, competition or just to meet my own crazy expectations.

There are other things that I'd like to accomplish this year that do not revolve around writing-- it's just that the writing ones are the most crucial for me. I need to get serious about exercising and eating right (I just read an article about heart disease in women and freaked myself out); I want to throw out and get rid of all the extra junk I have (clothes, CDs, books, movies, and other miscellaneous crap) so our house feels more streamlined, comfortable and easy to live in; I want to be the best wife and friend to Greg that I can be; and I want to begin the job search in earnest.

Now that I have written this crap out here, I feel a little more organized. I think I'll come back and read this post whenever I forget or get sidetracked. It's so easy for me to get sidetracked. I am SO forgetful and so easily overwhelmed these days. It's weird. I feel older than I am. And I don't even have a kid yet. Oy vey.

Here's to a kick-ass 2007. :)

7 comments:

Jen said...

I haven't felt like blogging, either.

Naynayfazz said...

I was just about to come on here and say, "Um Lisa, yeah a new blog would be great." I didn't have to!

What is this??? All the bloggers are having brain farts. There has been a serious amount of slacking on people writing and reading. I have to much f'in time on my hands being unemployed. That is why I read so much. Maybe once my life is back in order, I will back to complaining I have no time to write/read blogs.

Good luck on all of your resolutions. You know I feel this way, but I'll say it again-- you are an awesome writer and I wish you the best of luck. Before we were blog buds, I read your blog everyday... all the way from the beginning! I am not a stalker, heck no! I am just someone who thought your blog was so funny and interesting. It is equivalent to not being able to put a good book down. No lie sista.

Anyway, sorry for this long comment but I just wanted to cheer u up. Talk soon.

Lisa Armsweat said...

I'm so glad I am not the only one feeling like this lately. I wonder what is going on, though, if so many of us are feeling it. Hmm.

Thanks, Naynay. :) You humble me.

Naynayfazz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Naynayfazz said...

I just deleted a comment because the link I sent you wasn't working. Sorry! You're welcome though. I wanted you to see my first ever blog, but the link wasn't working. If you really care to see it, go to my blog, then to archives to Feb 05 and read "poppin' the blog cherry." Classy, I know. ;)

Lisa Armsweat said...

Oh, damn it...I can't find your archives that go that far back. Boo hoo! Is there somewhere else I could look? Sorry-- I tried! :)

Naynayfazz said...

Boy, I think from all of this blogging and no real thought my brain seeped out of my head. I meant Feb 06. I didn't even blog in 05. I am sorry. Oy vey... Look at FEBRUARY OF 2006!!!! (rolling eyes and hitting myself on the head!)