Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I didn't tell you guys about this cake. I realized it tonight when I was looking at my pictures file, and there it was in all its glory. It's my Martin Luther King, Jr. Cake.

I had been watching something on TV about him and felt a surge of something like a cross between respect and love. Soon afterwards, I got me a hankering for some cake. And when I want cake, I WANT cake, if you know what I mean. People could get hurt. (I get like this: MUST. HAVE.CAAAAAKE!! And I kick things and beat my chest and throw grandma across the room.) So...anyway... I ambled into the kitchen and grabbed the obligatory Yellow Cake Mix and a can of frosting and after a flurry of mixing, baking and decorating, the cake was born.

But it was missing something, sitting there with its creamy chocolate icing. It looked so blank. And it WAS a holiday at the time: Milk Day. I think it was around this time I went into a trance and the next thing I know I was drizzling white chocolate icing on the cake in a very child-like manner to create the culinary homage to Mr. King that you see above.

It was a very good cake, too. I gave my Mom a piece to take home with her when she came over the next day and she said, and I quote: "Mmmmm, that cake was GOOD!" There you have it-- directly from the mouth of my wise and cake-loving mother. She would never lie to me. Except for that one time. I won't get into it. Point: my Equal Rights Cake was a winner.

I don't really have a big point to all of this. I just felt like tonight was the night to say, "Hey, one night I made this cake because I love Martin Luther King Jr. and what he did for our nation." Some people attend parades (Milk Parades) and others write eloquent essays or speak to students about the impact he had.

Others bake a cake from a mix and eat it right out of the pan.

Ask yourself...which type of person are YOU?

8 comments:

Naynayfazz said...

I am not normally a cake eater, but I do love me some boxed cake. I am sure it was Dee-lish!

Actions and Consequences said...

You're my 12th favorite human rights activist.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

I'm the same kind of person you are. I'm sure you had a big glass of MLK with it.

Smackadocious said...

Viva la torta de MLK!

By the way, I'm still sorry I couldn't find those little silver balls for your cake last year...

Buffy said...

Let them eat cake. And all that.

Hey, it could catch on.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that cake looks really good. Seriously, I'm off to go bake myself up some yellow cake with chocolate icing. But for whom? well, it looks like Abe Lincoln's bday is the next available holiday, so it will have to be an Emancipation Proclamation Cake. Mmmm.

Lisa Armsweat said...

You guys would have loved this cake! And you know what, Tinabellina is on to something with her Emancipation Proclamation Cake idea. I think I might do that one, too. I LOVE LINCOLN. Crazy about him!! Maybe we could all make these cakes and create our own blogworld holiday. Anyone up for it? (Somewhere, Smackadocious is scrambling around for the silver balls and everyone everywhere is stocking up on the MLK.)

Smackadocious said...

OMG... "Scrambling around for the silver balls." THAT'S going on my business cards!