Number of meetings I attended today: 2
Number of meetings I attended during which my fly was down: 2
I was in such a hurry to get into those meetings there was no time for zippers. I’m hopeful that my shirt was long enough so that when I was sitting down, no one could tell what the deal was down there on my pants-front. Oh, well.
Well, work is still going well, and I have no complaints. They’re keeping me busy. The people are very cool. I found out the company is about 80% women. One of the large meetings this morning was standing-room only, with only 5 men in attendance. I don’t think I’ve worked anywhere with this type of ratio before, but I can say this: it was also an efficient and productive meeting. I hate to be sexist and make an assumption that it was because women were running the thing, but I have to wonder. There was also freedom to laugh and crack jokes, and I noticed several of the women having short side-conversations with one another as the meeting went on. An hour went by very quickly. In comparison, at my previous job: meetings were almost always run by men because there were very few women in management there, and our meetings went on forever and I would cross out my notes a few times during the course of the meeting because no one could decide on anything. Blah. I’m glad to be gone.
In other news: Indy has Valley Fever. He got it from inhaling the Valley Fever spores in the dry soil at some point. He does like to dig small holes in the corners of the yard, and often came in the house with dirt on his nose, so it’s no surprise to me that he’d catch this disease, really. Luckily, right now he is doing very well on the medication we have to give him, and I think he has a great shot at making a full recovery.
Let me back up a bit. I took Indy to the vet about three weeks ago to finally have his right rear leg checked out. He wasn’t able to put weight on the leg, and would often run on three legs. For awhile, we just wrote it off because he’s such an active dog and he constantly twists and contorts his body into the strangest positions when he sleeps. We figured he would pull a muscle and then, after awhile when his leg would go back down to the ground again, we thought he had worked out the kinks. However, as time went on, he was not using that leg more and more, and finally one night he spun out in the living room and as he fell, he twisted in a bad way and was crying and yelping in pain. Two days later, after his leg had been up for two straight days and he was spending more time on his dog bed than usual, I took him in to see what was going on.
They thought it was a knee injury—something with a ligament. They kept him for the day and did x-rays to see if that was the problem. I hoped not, because I was told surgery to repair that knee ligament could be as high as $5,000. The vet called me and told me something unexpected: Indy had two large growths on the bones in the bad leg. It was one of two things: cancer, or Valley Fever.
We did the Valley Fever test first, rather than a biopsy, and I was pretty relieved to hear he was positive for VF. I was trying not to think of what it would mean if he turned out to have bone cancer. Apparently, in the advanced stages of VF, dogs often develop masses and growths in their bones. With people, it mostly invades your lungs only. I’m so glad we caught the VF now, because it could have led to seizures and death if he didn’t begin treatment. Like I mentioned above, he’s taking medication and so far is not showing any signs of the side effects, other than a slight slowing-down of his activity…which is really NOT a bad thing. He’ll have to stay on the meds for at least 6 months to a year. We’re just happy to have him healthy—the $24 a month for the pills he has to take is just nothing.
What I have noticed since all this happened and he began medication is, he seems to be a lot more obedient and the little pissing-incidents are not nearly as frequent. In fact, he only had one incident and that was on the first day he began the medication. I really have to wonder if he was misbehaving because he didn’t feel well. I feel a little bad about punishing him if that was the case, but yeah…how the hell could we have known? Either way, it’s so much better now around our house. I even attempted the very beginnings of Frisbee training (thanks to the information Jen shared with me!) this past weekend. He doesn’t get it yet, but I think he will.
And that is what is going on.
I think I might begin writing about random things again. My first idea is to write about owls, and what I think of them. So maybe I’ll get on that next.
6 comments:
Cruel Shoes:
What is Valley Fever? Is it something dogs can get only where you live? Do you live in the mid-west? Out here in Seattle dogs and cats worst enemy is the automobile.
I hope Indy is healthy soon! He has a good Mom. :)
Aw, poo. Sorry to hear Indy's not well. That's great, though, both that you caught it in time and maybe it was the cause of his misbehavior.
Also, I wish I'd read this yesterday, as I had a little zipper incident of my own this morning. Eep.
I was just going to ask what Valley Fever is also? Poor Indy! :(
I think women are better planners. I say that a lot. I don't think it is sexist. It is just something we are better at. But we can't piss out camp fires like men can. So, we're even.
Poor Indy. I'm glad to hear he seems to be feeling better and that the VF was caught early.
Oh, and I never remember to zip up my zipper. My favorite thing about maternity pants is that they don't have zippers. That and the expanding waist are just about my best friends ever.
*sigh* only you, Lisa, only you.
Wow! I'd never heard of Valley Fever! I totally agree that this is what's been up Indy's bum for the past few months! I hate it when they're trying to tell us they're sick and we
just. don't. get. it. !
Indy! Auntie Jen is so sorry! Thank your lucky stars for your wonderful mama and your attentive vet!
Leezer-- Thanks for the well-wishes for Indy; I'll pass them on. :) Anyway, here is what Valley Fever is, for you and everyone else who'd like to know what it is: It occurs when someone-- an animal or a person-- inhales a fungal spore Coccidioides; it is not contagious, and you only get it from inhaling the spores, and they're only located in the Southwest. Unless your dog has vacationed here, chances are your dog won't get it. Here's a good site with more info, if you're interested: http://www.vfce.arizona.edu/VFID-dodogs.htm
Fraulein-- I would be happy if the VF was the cause of his bad behavior; it would explain so much. Poor lil' dude. Anyway, I feel ya regarding a breeze in the front of your pants. I always feel like I have low intelligence when I realize I didn't pull the zipper up.
NNFazz-- Like my shortened version of your name? :) You're right-- I do think women are better planners, but given practice I *do* think we could be just as good at pissing on campfires. 'Course, we'd have to suffer a lot of scorched pubes to get there, but...
Christina- I think I would love maternity pants. In fact, there have been days when I considered buying some maternity clothes, because sadly, my gut is kind of cubby and those clothes might fit me better. (Now I really sound like a slovenly oaf-- can't zip up pants, wants loose-fitting clothes so my fat will be unencumbered...)
Jen-- I am very grateful for our vet! She also gave me all sorts of information on the disease and made me feel like this is something that he will get over. She remained positive, but realistic. I only wish I'd gotten him there sooner, but... he'll be just fine! Indy is already back to being an imp (not doing the really bad stuff, just playing very comically and barking a little too much), so he's definitely going to be fine. :)
Post a Comment