
Words on paper make me happy.
Today two different people asked me if they could read more of my book. Both knew what chapter I am currently up to, and both wanted me to send over what I had today. And might I add, I am not related to either of them in any way.
That is so cool. I’m so flattered and excited that they want to know what happens enough to seek me out to ask for more. So I just had to come on here and get all giddy about it for a minute. Yay!
I was just remembering Milk and Cheese comic books today. They were among some of the first comics I bought once I got brave and ventured outside of the safe DC Vertigo world back in college, and they are hilarious. I forgot all about them until I was talking with a co-worker about comics just now, and Milk and Cheese just popped into my head. I asked her if she ever heard of it, since I have never run into anyone who has heard of them before, and to my excitement she’d not only heard of them, she loves them too. So we just reminisced for a few minutes about the “dairy products gone bad” and the particular humor of those books. Now that I have remembered them, I want to buy more than the 4 issues I have...and maybe find a t-shirt or something online.
The thing is, as we talked about comics, I realized how many I actually have. It’s a lot. And I have good ones, too. All the Preacher comics; Fray (the futuristic Slayer series by Joss Whedon); every Sandman collection (I got into them after the individual issues were on the market, so the collections were the best way for me to get the whole story); The Books of Magic; Witchcraft; Moonshadow; House of Secrets; a signed hardcopy of “The Crow” (one of my prize possessions in fact); the first third of the Y: The Last Man series; and a scattering of random issues from various series I tried out. It would be cool to get back into it again, in some ways. I really do want the rest of Y: The Last Man SO badly. I buy them for the stories first, the art second, and the collectability a way distant third. Even though I’m not into trading or selling comics, I do keep them nice, though, in bags with board backing. I don’t want them to fall apart.
Anyone else have a collection of something? What is it and why do you have it?
6 comments:
I never heard of any of those.
Am I up-to-date on the book?
The husband and I have a crazy comic book collection going. I'm going to have to look into "Fray." You absolutely must read the rest of "Y: The Last Man." Sooo good.
Man, Lisa, I'm feeling really old right now because the only comics I ever had as a kid were the MAD-magazines. I think I had a subscription. Do they still print those?
More book please.
Shades - I'm going to pick a good graphic novel to start you out. Everyone has to start reading these type of comics at some point! And trust me, these are not muscle-men superhero comics...they're something much prettier and cooler. :)
Fraulein - I love that you guys have a crazy comic collection! And yes, you will like Fray a lot. It's different than Buffy, but it's still connected in a cool way. And yes, I NEED the Y:The Last Man issues I've missed. Did you know they are making a YTLM movie? Yup. Between that and the Twilight movie, all the good books are turning into movies these days. They better not suck.
Leezer- Oh, don't feel old at all! I also had the MAD magazines, and Cracked, as a kid. I only got into comic books like this when I was in high school. I saw a comic version of "Interview with the Vampire" (the book I was obsessed with at the time) and was hooked. And that was probably 17 years ago or so now. See, I'm the one who's old!
Pixie - If you say so...I can share it if you'd like. :) Thanks!
Hey, I didn't get the rest of the book yet either! Send more please :)
My collections are nearly as cool as yours. Shotglasses, matchbooks, several different book series. Although I have started collecting the Buffy comics courtesy of my best friend who sent them to me for my birthday.
Post a Comment