Wednesday, May 21, 2008

SPINNING INWARD

I've had so much on my mind lately I'm wondering if the very force of my thinking is what is making me feel so physically exhausted these days. When I got home from the gym yesterday I made myself busy just so I wouldn't just lie down and sleep for a couple of hours (and then ruin my regular night's sleep). It could also be the heat; yesterday it broke a record by hitting 108. Whatever it is, I just know I'm not playing my best game right now.

I won't get into it, because seriously, no one wants to hear it and I don't want to share it. It's not like life is shitty right now, or anything terrible is going down; it's just that I'm spending lots of time in my own head and whether or not that's a good thing remains to be seen. Maybe I'll come out of it having figured some stuff out. Or I'll just continue to be the boring girl who just wants to sit quietly and read by herself.

Since I said that things aren't all so bad, here are some things that have made me happy in the past few days or so:

* Dogsitting Clara, our friend's dog, and having her follow our dogs' lead and sitting before going out or eating--and seeing her tail thump happily when I praised her for it

* Watching a matinee of Baby Mama on a hot day, after we'd spent the previous one working hard on our pergola to add a sunscreen-- it felt so nice to just sit in the cool darkness and laugh

* The way the pergola came out, because it looks so nice now

* Having some of the wildflowers bloom in my makeshift garden, and finding out Greg pulled some weeds out of there for me, which was really nice of him

* Getting a lot of articles recruited, edited and out for review

* Writing and re-writing Chapter 6 of my book-- this is good, of course, since it means I'm not giving up, but I do worry I am telling the story wrong and everything's going to wind up sucking-- but nope, this is a happy list, must stick with the I'm WRITING and THAT'S GOOD thing

* I painted my fingernails

* The fact that they brought Adam Carolla back to Phoenix radio a week or so ago, and how fun it is to listen to the show again!

* Listening to the dogs playing so loudly that I have to tell them to leave the room so I can concentrate

* Air conditioning and ice-cold water. And shade.

* The pesto Greg made last week is still super delicious

* Maybe braiding my hair is going to be my look for the summer

* The slightly lower number on the scale the other day

* The fact that my best friend is getting a dog today...a Chinese Crested puppy named Caesar! I can't wait to meet him in June when I go back to visit!

* Thoughts of the BlogBQ :)

* Reading The Host and not being able to put it down. Stephenie Meyer's writing makes me so happy and inspired! When I read her books (which are all incredible), all I want to do is go write my own and do my best to be even half as good as her

* Being super excited about the Twilight movie in December. Yeah, aren't we all?

* The little old man I saw helping his wife get out of the car today at Walgreens. He took her arm and before they walked across the parking lot, he kissed the top of her head. I smiled about it for a long time as I drove home. And smiling's the BEST.

I need some visuals now.
So here's the first (blurry) photo of my new nephew, Caesar:


The book I'm in the middle of:


My Dad and Trish, when they assaulted a metal bull a few years ago:


My sweet, unique little angel:

7 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

I have The Host sitting and waiting for me to read it but I have to finish some books form the library first. I am so excited for it. Did you get your copy signed by Stephenie? I think you should come to Vegas or I should come to Phoenix so we can see the movie together in December.

What is BlogBQ?

Lisa Armsweat said...

I've been bad...I put other books aside to read this one. I have to get back to Daughter of the Blood after this, for sure. And nooo...I didn't get my copy signed by Stephenie b/c the night she was here I already had another commitment. But I'm thinking when Breaking Dawn comes out, she'll likely do another tour, right? So there's still a chance.

BlogBQ is Naynay's BBQ she's having when I go back to NJ next month. Some of the East Coast bloggers will be there! Christina's husband is the one who came up with the name BlogBQ. After this, I am considering holding a Western BlogBQ for anyone who could make it from this side of the country. We'll see... the thoughts are only percolating right now. ;)

Cupcake Blonde said...

Unfortunatelt she is not doing a tour for Breaking Dawn which I never understood. She wanted to concentrate on The Host I guess. :(

I would so be there if you did a BlogBQ. And I bet Shades would come too if she can. I wish I could go to the East coast one, but I may already be going to Boston in October.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

I cannot get Twilight from the library. I'm so behind.

Love the old man story.

I want to go to the BlogBQ. You, Naynay, and Christina? So jealous.

Lisa Armsweat said...

VP- No tour for Breaking Dawn?! Great. There goes my big plan! But that's OK...I still have hope that because we live in the same city we could cross paths sometime. I'll probably act like a geeky fangirl if I saw her! I was thinking how cool it would be to get you and Shades together for this potential get-together; like I said I am going to think about this one.

Pixie- If you have a spare $10 or so, you can get Twilight at Target. It's the only one in paperback, but at least you'd get in on the madness. And hey, if you're not doing anything and want to take a quick spin down to central NJ around June 22...I'm sure everyone'd love to see you. Ohio's not THAT far. Right? (crickets) :)

Lisa said...

Lisa:
I totally get the in your head-thing. I go through phases where I wonder if I am waaaaaay too self-absorbed.

I wish I could go to NJ with you!

Fraulein N said...

Awww. That story about the old couple made me smile.