
This shall be known as the Summer of Not Blogging. I am beginning to wonder if this is starting to fade for me; I just don't feel like writing here all that much anymore and while it's sad, since I've been doing it for over five years now...it's also just evolution, too. My interests are shifting, very subtly. It happens.
I loved Hellboy 2 this weekend. I was very excited to see it, even more than I let on. The first Hellboy movie was awesome. I remember being very shocked by my reaction to it. I was prepared to feel "ehhhh..." about it. Ron Perlman as a big devil-guy? Selma Blair? Huh? Nope, it didn't seem to be a recipe for anything out of the ordinary. But then I watched it and was roped in. Such fun characters! I adore Hellboy's attitude and general sense of goodness. I love that he loves cats and smokes cigars. Every time the movie comes on, I have the same reaction: "Why the hell haven't I bought some of those comics/ graphic novels yet, anyway?" I know I'd like to read them. I have to get around to it. I know I'll fall in love even more.
Anyway, Hellboy 2 was even better than the first one, I think. I admit I miss David Hyde Pierce's voice for Abe Sapien, but that was pretty much my only complaint. Guillermo del Toro is a fantastic director for a movie like this. Plus, the visuals and creativity splashed all over every frame were stunning. I loved the troll market scene, and keep giggling over the line: "I'm not a baby. I'm a tumor." Creatures EVERYWHERE in this movie, and lord knows I love me some creatures! (Oh, and Seth McFarland was the voice for Johann Kraus, which is pretty cool, too. For the record, I'd rather listen to Kraus than Stewie--who is really wearing on me anymore. I won't say the same about Brian the dog, though. I still love Brian.) I kind of can't wait to see this one again, and I really do plan to see it one more time in the theater (probably the second-run theater, though, with ticket prices being what they are and about 18 more movies coming out that I MUST see). I just relaxed, sat back and enjoyed this movie. It was right up my alley, as they say. I'd like to watch this with Mirrormask and Pan's Labyrinth...make it a triple-feature. OK, a quad-feature, because I want to watch the first Hellboy, too.
And now, this weekend we finally get The Dark Knight. Now, I'm not positive we will see it this weekend only because of the crowds and everything...but we're not going to be able to wait very long at all. It's just too intriguing, looks TOO awesome. Even before he died and they started leaking the first footage of Heath as the Joker, I knew that my fears about the casting were completely unfounded. A totally insane, messy Joker is the way it's SUPPOSED to be. I am of the crowd that feels the Batman/ Dark Knight story/character should be dark, brooding and filled with inner conflict. I want to be haunted by the story. Batman Begins accomplished this so well. And now, I think The Dark Knight is easily going to surpass that. I've been waiting a long time for this one. Maybe I'm not all fanboy(girl) about it, not quite-- but I have been thinking about it all year and eagering anticipating the sensory and emotional experience of watching it unfold on the screen, finally.
"People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy, and I can't do that as Bruce Wayne. As a man,I'm flesh and blood. I can be ignored, I can be destroyed. But as a symbol...as a symbol I can be incorruptible. I can be everlasting."
7 comments:
Nooooooooooooooo! You can't stop blogging! I would be so sad if you stopped. :(
We are going to see The Dark Knight next week when we are in Florida. There is a theater in Clearwater that serves dinner while you watch the movie. So that should be a fun experience. Plus, if the movie stinks, we can throw pizza at the screen! Fun for all!
Seriously, don't stop blogging. You can always just blog here and there when you do actually feel like it. We'll understand... RIGHT GIRLS! (hint for you all to agree with me...)
Although I am totally with you on the lack of blogging, you and I have talked about this kind of thing before, and I have to agree with Naynay. You've got to stick around, even if it's not a daily thing.
Also, now I know to avoid the Cinema Cafe on Sunset Point Road when Naynay hits town. I can't think of a reason to throw pizza at the screen image of Christian Bale's beautiful visage. After all, they won't let you run up and lick it off the screen.
So I've been told.
You stop blogging and Naynay and I are going to kick your pretty little ass. We are close enough now to do it! :)
Seriously, take a break, but come back. We all go through these slumps. You are too precious to lose forever.
Seeing all the promos NBC had going featuring Hellboy made me want to see this movie and I never even saw the first one! So I will be renting it and then going to see the second. And I can't wait for Dark Knight either. I get shivers whenever I see promos. But it makes me sad too, knowing it is Heath's last movie. At least he went out with a bang.
Smackadocious- I can tell you know the theater I am going to. Nah, I wouldn't actually throw anything on the movie screen. I think Christian Bale is yummy as well. So, no pizza throwing. Maybe some fart noises and boos but no pizza throwing. :)
I ... am not even going to address the whole NOT BLOGGING thing. Okay, yes I am: No. Just no.
We've already purchased our tickets for "The Dark Knight." I think everyone involved in this movie is (was, in dear Heath's case) just crazy talented; even before the reviews started coming out I knew it was going to be great.
Naynay- OK, I won't stop blogging. I wasn't going to stop anyway, really... just learn to not freak myself out over the time that might go between postings. :) Thanks for caring if I stopped or not, though! Anyway, have a great vacation and come on now... no throwing pizza at The Batman. Not when everyone knows fart noises are the all-purpose funny things that they are. Everyone around you would have a good chuckle at fart noises. Why IS it that everyone laughs at farts, anyway? Oh, well. It doesn't matter. Just have a good time and fart away.
Smackadocious- I'm sticking around the blog world for awhile yet. Can't help it. I'm hooked. Speaking of hooked, I take it you're still having problems with breaking that habit you have of licking movie screens. God speed, little buddy. Hope it gets better. Your poor abused tongue needs a break. I know you're been going to town on the Samsung in your bedroom now that 90210 is out on DVD but please, think of your future. And Ben. And the children. (I don't know why these "children" care so much about your tongue but let's choose not to think about it, yes?)
VP-- OK, I get the hint...no blogstopping will occur! Sheesh! Please don't hit me. I'm a delicate flower. Anyway, I was thinking of something today-- why not check out the media market here in Phoenix? Could be a good place to work, you know. And perhaps find a less psychotic HOA. Naynay and I could use you 'round these parts. I'm just sayin'. Anyway, yes, getting back to the Dark Knight. It's going to be a great film and I'm really excited for it, and feel the same way about Heath. If you do check out Hellboy, let me know what you think! I hope you see what I mean and enjoy it, too. :)
Fraulein- Upon pain of death, I PROMISE I will not stop blogging. I will, however, stop dancin', because dancing is killing my knees. But that's neither here nor there. (PS- is 9:30am too early to be this drunk?) I wish we could see the Dark Knight together, since that would just be a great time. I guess we'll just have to wait for December's big movie release, and your REQUIRED trip to Arizona to see it. Uh huh. :)
I think summer take a toll on blogging, and bloggers, just like it does on other aspects of life.
I felt exactly the same way about the first Hellboy. And I didn't even know about this one until this week.
Post a Comment