Sunday, March 06, 2005


This is the yellow robot toy that scared me just now. Yes... it scared me.

I was opening the box for my new toaster oven (that's the box in the background-- you can certainly see why my Mom bought me this toaster oven, what with the delicious tomato-y treats just lurking within) and I didn't expect to see anything inside the box except for, well, a toaster oven. As I pulled the toaster oven free from its styrofoam haven, I turned it over and saw this yellow THING in the bag. For some reason that I really don't understand, the sight of it actually made me jump. I really was surprised. I didn't expect this. Oh, no. Hardly.

I believe this is a "ROBOTS" promo toy; and, to be specific, it's the Amanda Bynes Robot toy...the one who in the commercial says a bit about being all "staticy just thinking about" something. Which sounds pretty nasty. But seriously, Sunbeam Corporation...why did you need to include this in my oven? It seems like an open invitation to, oh, I don't know, put a yellow plastic robot toy inside the oven and fill the entire house with a burning yellow-plastic-robot smell. Not that I'd do that, but I'd do that.

Now the little yellow robot is standing on my desk, and I am enjoying wondering how she lost her leg and arm--notice she has the gimpy leg and arm. Actually, it looks like it's just a bicep she had replaced. It doesn't seem to faze this robot girl, though...she has one heck of a go-get-'em-tiger smile; albeit with a very vacant stare. Stupid yellow robot. Startling me when I open the toaster oven box. I'm done with this robot.

1 comment:

lengli said...

Her wee gimpy limbs are indeed quite tragic, and yet she seems so proud of them. I believe this is actually a sensitivity-training robot to show children and toaster oven-purchasers that those with gimpy legs and arms are just as capable as we norms. Kudos. Kudos.