So how about this real estate business? Talk about a booming market, this one's about to explode! Yeee-ow! Or should I say Hot Damn! Or Jumpin' Jehosahfat, or However You Spell It? Well, whatever you prefer when it comes to exclamations, I can provide it, so let me know.
I just found out my condo is worth a lot more than I paid for it only 5 months ago. And when I looked at real estate back in NJ, I noticed that condominiums that, for instance, were purchased by my maternal unit for $117K in 1995 are now going for $350K. That's nothing to be alarmed about or anything, oh NO. After all, I am sure we are all making very healthy salaries and can afford to own a home of our own. Sure! You bet.
Anyway, blogging has gotten hard over the past few days, only because I am very preoccupied with other projects. I am working on conceptualizing a new magazine-- I am even going to write up real articles and have Trish lay it out like it was a real magazine--so that we have a strong mock-up that could perhaps be shopped around to publishers. For the meantime, it at least will show I can write for the consumer audience and not just corporate schmucks. And it gives Trish some of that ol' fashioned print layout experience, too.
I'm also about to start painting again. It has been years since I have done a painting, and last night I finally got thumped on the noggin by a lump of inspiration (which was, admittedly, the size of a rather plump raisin). So I have done some sketches to get ready to mess the hell out of some empty canvases that have been hanging around here for months now. This project involves not one but 4 paintings to complete the look I am going for. I'll group them on my wall, and try as hard as I can to appear pretentiously coy about "my work" when you come over and see them sometime. You'll love my coyness; I perfected it in my years of all-girl's boarding school. (I cannot lie-- no boarding school for me; my experience has come from hobbling around campus at Monmouth U with a cane because my sciatica was killing me freshman year; and telling people I was not a gimp, I just had sciatica.)
One time I fell over a baby gate. This happened when I was babysitting, and I had the baby in my arms at the time. It was kind of terrible, actually. I was being dumb, and thought I could step over the baby gate instead of reaching down and opening said gate and walking through the doorway like a normal person would. Instead I had to cut corners. And you know who paid the ultimate price? Well, I wish I could say the baby, but the truth was, my coccyx paid the price. I fell backwards and landed right on my tailbone on a marble floor. I at least held the baby in to my chest as tightly as possible, so I would take the majority of the fall. It worked. Baby was unharmed, but Lisa ended up with a ruptured lumbar disk, which was what caused me to have near-paralyzing sciatica problems for about a year in college.
And that is why kids should never babysit.
The More You Know. (shooting star over the rainbow...)
5 comments:
the parallels continue...
* I * dropped a baby while babysitting once, too!
well, actually, he rolled off of a changing table onto some very nice, plush shag carpeting and, thankfully, came away unharmed (he was a nice, soft, roly poly baby).
...silly parents letting 13 year old girls babysit.
I dropped a baby, and I don't know why, but it just ain't right.
That's why fat babies are better than skinny babies -- you drop 'em and they're none the wiser.
I not only dropped a baby while babysitting (same deal: that fucking changing table) -- I dropped the baby TWICE, the same night, and it broke BOTH ITS LEGS. True story.
I also write for a big corporation. I am also desperate -- desperate, I tell you -- to stop writing for a big corporation.
Wow, we really were uncoordinated babysitters! And I for one should have known better; what with all the hours I logged reading volumes of the Babysitter's Club books. Oh well.
Georgia, your story is the best! You win the Bad Babysitter Prize! It's a six pack of beer (your choice); a shady boyfriend who will stop by to make out with you; and a remote control to raise the volume to cover the crying. Congrats! Now get back to breaking baby legs and writing for The Man!
Post a Comment