Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I don’t know what to write about, because it seems like all the good topics have been done already. So I will just begin to ramble to see if something of interest pops out, like so much pop-corn.

I have already written about funny things that have happened to me, or my thoughts on certain issues, and things regarding the wedding and current events in my life. Stories in the news are covered already. I mean, on Sunday night when I read the news that Steve Irwin died, I thought that I would blog about it the next morning. But I didn’t, and by then the story was already done by other bloggers, many of whom are way more talented and succinct than I am. And forget writing about the big unveiling of Suri Cruise—I simply don’t care. And besides, I saw the photo on Vanity Fair, and while everyone is saying she is a cute baby, I happen to think she’s not very attractive for a baby. Too much hair and freaky little eyes. I can already see the Holmes Droop!

By the way, I will say that I am still pretty bummed out about Steve Irwin dying. I know a lot of celebrities die all the time, but this one kind of feels like it couldn’t have happened. Even if it’s been awhile since I saw his show, I still think about it on a regular basis when I am out in nature and could encounter dangerous snakes in the desert; I always picture him lifting the snake by the tail and calling it a “little beauty.” And then I don’t feel as scared of the possibly-lurking snakes. I know he was kind of nuts, and did take risks that seemed insane or potentially harmful/ traumatizing to the animal, but at least he had passion for animals and wildlife conservation, and I respect the shit out of that.

This weekend was pretty good. Very low-key, but just the way I like it. We saw Little Miss Sunshine, which was really wonderful. I can’t say enough good things about the actors in the movie. Especially Steve Carell doing a serious part with deadpan comedy mixed in. His character was complex and intriguing. I loved it. Check it out if you can.

Greg and I finished watching the rest of Arrested Development Season 3. There was talk among some friends a couple weeks ago about each of us dressing up as a character from the show for Halloween. Greg has been suggested for George Sr/ Oscar and Tobias, and it’s a given that all the girls are going to clamor to be Lucille, the BEST female part, I might add. Trish would make a good Maebe, methinks. But anyway, I think I will call dibs on Rita if I can’t “get” Lucille. I could totally do “Mr. F” with about $10 and an afternoon at Goodwill. I already have the confused look down pat.

Today I was in Lowe’s on my lunch hour and I admit I didn’t really feel like leaving and heading back to the office. I wanted to wander around and daydream and get ideas for house and yard projects. My current desire is to plant my garden, finally. Greg built me a cool planter box out near the pool, and all it needs is some plants (and a sunscreen). But I’m concerned that things won’t grow well now that the cooler season is starting, so I might have to wait to do the vegetable thing I really want to do. What I might do is a flower garden. At least a lot of things will grow throughout the Arizona winters.

But what I don’t understand is why I am so attracted to the little fences and trellises they sell there! I will just gaze adoringly upon the tiny decorative metal designs in the two-foot-long sections they sell it in, or admire the pretty trellises and pergolas and daydream about flowering, healthy vines creeping up their sides. If I had my way, I’d let the crazy take over, and the yard might end up with little fenced-off areas and stupid stepping stones and pavers. I’m not sure WHY. I mean, I know they look tacky and using them would be kind of ridiculous, but there is just some innate attraction there. They make me want to buy them, even though I can’t understand the real motivation.

Perhaps I have a desire to “fence in” certain pretty things in my life. Keep them safe. Keep them corralled from the rest of the world. “These things behind the fence are special.” Maybe I want to add unnecessary and tacky touches to areas of my life. Maybe I need to listen to a little more Cole Porter and dream of land, lots of land, and the starry skies above. Who knows?

Tomorrow is my first appointment at the dentist in at least a couple of years. I feel like I have a big ol’ moss-mouth or something, but my fears have kept me away. Tomorrow I finally get brave and sit down in the chair and let them poke away at the sensitive spots. I can take it. I have handled way worse pain in my life. Sciatica, endometriosis… scraping plaque off my teeth should be nothing to worry about. This is what I am telling myself. Luckily, I have the BEST guy in the world, and he is going with me to help me get through it. I know I’ll need some work, as I think there are a couple of small cavities in there, but the big hurdle has been getting there in the first place. I’ll deal with procedures as they happen. I will feel a little silly having my fiancé hold my hand for a simple cleaning and exam, but so what. It’s a matter of teeth and death! Or something!

I need a haircut. If anyone has any pictures of longer hair with layers in it that looks kind of cool, please send it along because I only know I want more “movement” in my all-one-length straight hair, but I don’t want a thousand levels of hair in there. Also, the layers have to work with bangs, which can be tricky. I’m stumped! I call out to you for assistance in these dark, limp-haired times! Please give what you can. Thanks!

8 comments:

Paul said...

my girlfriend has her first cavity and she's terrified of the needle and the drill. It really doesn't hurt.

Jen said...

Moss-mouth, huh? there you go making words again. I say if you want to blog about Steve Irwin, then do it- I can't get enough and I feel just like you. I've blogged about it 3 times already because I still just cannot get my human brain to accept it. And I vehemently hate that stupid Tom Cruise had to go and launch his "baby" pictures in order to get the media focus back on him. I think VF and the Cruise/Holmes collaboration should have had some respect and waited until next week. Damn disrespectful, inconsiderate stupid celebrities.

I still don't think that kid is theirs, either.

Have fun at the dentist, moss-mouth. It will be alright.

And post more dog pics/stories next time you're bored.

Fraulein N said...

I still think ol' Cruise is a pompous asshat, so I hate to say it, but I think that's a pretty cute baby.

Good call on the Holmes Droop, though. Hee.

Jen said...

HAIR! I forgot about HAIR! I love long, layered cuts! Here are my favorite long, layered soap star haircuts:

Kelly Monaco

Kelly Monaco 2

Sarah Brown

Sarah Brown 2

I've tried both cuts and have enjoyed them both; my current cut is kind of a cross between the two. Probably shorter than you'd want to go, not as many layers as Kelly, but not as few as Sarah. Here's the link to my photo site- you can see my hair in my wedding pics.

Brooke said...

Wasn't Steve Carell amazing in that movie? That first scene, where he's still in the hospital, just about killed me. He made his depression palpable.

I have resorted to using Xanax for visits to the dentist. And just about everything else.

Mad Ethel said...

Holy crap. I could spend a couple of weeks in Lowes just looking at their stuff. I wish I weren't poor. I would have the most awesome landscaped yard in the history of yards. EVER!

Naynayfazz said...

I am with you on the Cruise/Holmes baby. Not only do I not give a rat's patoot about celebrities and their offspring, she is not a cute baby at all. I think my nephew is way cuter.

I just went to the dentist recently after a while also. It was a crappy experience. The teeth cleaning was comparable to nails on a chalkboard. But I had no cavities and I got a new tooth brush! :) Fair exchange if I do say so myself. Good luck with that.

Lisa Armsweat said...

Paul: Thanks. I'm actually not scared of the needle, what I am afraid of is insufficient numbness and sensitive areas that get poked with the metal pick. Eeeee.

Jen-- It's still hard to believe he is gone, and the one thing that makes me feel better is I heard that his charity, Wildlife Warriors, is getting an incredible number of donations now. Maybe people are finally opening their eyes to the natural world a little more; and that has got to make ol' Steve very happy wherever he is! (I hope his dog Sui is with him--God, Sui was a cute dog, and it was terribly sad when she died.) Oh, and I posted the Indy/Hailie picture for you! :) And THANKS for the hair style suggestions--you rock!

Fraulein-- Well, there was one pic where Suri looked cute--where she is sitting on her mom's chest and kind of smiling. I don't think she is ugly, but to me she's just the cutest. And I don't like me the Holmes Droop. It's been bugging me for years. She reminds me of a Pound Puppy!

Brooke-- YES, Steve Carrell in those opening scenes was heartbreaking. I was definitely impressed, and I think he's going to only get a more diversified career over the years. Way to go, Steve! (I took a Clonazepam yesterday before my visit... it definitely helped. Ah, sweet drugs)

Mad Ethel-- I even love the smell of Lowes. I have to admit to being much mroe partial to Lowes than Home Depot. I get crabby in the HD, and I never have a good experience with anyone who works there. I want a million dollars to spend on home improvements-- there is SO MUCH I could do! Vessel sinks, tiles, halogen lights, gorgeous ceiling fans, a complete closet makeover... oh man I better go lay down, I'm getting dizzy.

Janine-- I've seen those pics of your nephew, and you're right--he is WAY cuter. Stupid Tom Cruise. What a sack of uselessness he is.
Congrats on no cavities! I didn't get the dental experience I thought I would, but I'll blog about that later on when I have a minute. Argh. I do not like dental issues. They make me sad.