So I put Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic! on our Neflix queue, and it arrived late last week. We put it in the DVD player on Friday, and you know what? It turns out I don't like Sarah Silverman, nor her film that makes the assumption that our Lord and Savior has magical powers. I wanted to turn it off less than halfway into it. We did, too. Happily, Greg wasn't impressed either, and was fine with me ending the shenanigans early. As a couple, we just weren't having it.
I don't know why it didn't do anything for me. It seems like I would like it. I know that a few friends have told me how they really thought I would like her comedy, and I was ready and willing to be open-minded about it and give it a go. But something is definitely missing there.
If I look at the things Sarah Silverman is known for regarding her comedy, it would seem like a great match for me. I love crude humor and political incorrectness. I also love juvenile toilet humor, I admit it. Absurdity is good, and it's always cool when a woman can pull off this kind of humor. Not to mention she has an adorable little dog, and she's a fellow brunette with brown eyes. We're kind of rare.
NOPE. Turns out, I don't get it. I didn't enjoy her little songs, and I didn't like how she seemed like she was trying. She just didn't seem all that natural; it seemed like she was preoccupied with trying to shock while keeping up her cute appearance. Something about it pissed me off. I can't pinpoint what it is, or why I was so apathetic to her act, but whatever it is...it's there.
As luck would have it, there IS something new for me to laugh at. This particular program works for me on so many crucial comedy levels. It's weird, which is probably my favorite type of humor. It's completely random, and it features people who make weird faces and the show uses hilarious graphics and photoshopped images. Plus, it has great guest stars, such as John C. Reilly and Michael Cera. The newest show I love? TIM & ERIC'S AWESOME SHOW on Adult Swim.
I have my sister to thank for this one. She turned me on to it. I only saw a few minutes of one episode she'd DVR'ed, but it killed me. I was going to stop at nothing to make sure I watched an episode last night. The only thing that sucks is it is only 15 minutes long. Still, those 15 minutes are pure hilarity.
Well, it just goes to show you: where one source of hilarity fails you, another one comes along to save your ass from a world of unfunniness. God bless the Cartoon Network and their incredible lineup on Adult Swim. And God Bless my parole officer! And God Bless Richard Nixon! Nighty night boys.
6 comments:
This morning I was walking to work and as I passed MTV Studios, there was a huge picture of Sarah Silverman up because she is hosting the MTV CRAP Awards. I thought to myself, "Damn she has the biggest eyebrows EVER."
This really has nothing to do with her movie. I just thought it was funny she was on my mind this morning.
I am back to blogging, btw. I have 80,000 blogs to catch up on. Damn marriage. :)
It's weird, I LOVE the Sarah Silverman Program, but Jesus Is Magic was deathly. I turned it off after about 20 minutes.
I'll have to check out Tim and Eric. Is Robot Chicken on Adult Swim? That show cracks me up and it's only 15 minutes.
Kevin likes to watch her show but I just don't get it. She annoys me.
NayNay-- That's so funny-- Trish and I always say she has huge nostrils. Oh, and I hope you are enjoying your damn new marriage! :)
Tim-- I actually think that the clip I posted on this blog with her dog is my favorite thing she ever did. The show kind of bothered me, too. But I'm glad you agree about the Jesus is Magic thing. Whew. It was painful. Also-- yes, Robot Chicken is on Adult Swim. In fact, T&E's Awesome Show is usually on right after RC. Check b/c it should be on Sunday nights.
Jen-- I've found there are definitely 2 types of people-- those who like her and those who don't. I think she has potential, but she's going about it wrong somehow. Sorry you need to endure hearing the show in your house! :(
I'm here to join the Anti-Sarah party - I keep thinking that I'm supposed to like her because she's all "edgy" and cute and stuff, but she doesn't do it for me, she seems to be trying too hard with the crude stuff. SO glad I'm not the only one.
Hi Cruel Shoes:
I'm with you on Sarah Silverman. I watched Jesus is Magic and I was bored. Her songs were too long and There were only a couple of things that made my expression change from bored to somewhat interested.
She reminds me of those mean girls in junior high that get attention only by how mean they are.
Post a Comment