Tuesday, December 20, 2005


I loved this story about divers saving the life of a Humpback whale off of San Francisco recently. The animal had the lines from 12 crab pots weighing 90 pounds each caught around its body, almost pulling it down so it couldn't get to the surface to breathe. The divers did a risky thing and actually dove in and cut each line off of the whale. The story says the whale just stayed still and let them help it. The amazing thing (however anthropomorphized it might seem) is the whale then went to each diver and nudged them each gently before it swam away... like it was thanking them. Imagine how amazing something like this would be? Wow. To quote one of my bloggin' friends, Lengli, it was truly a Christmas Miracle!

5 comments:

lengli said...

A Christmas Miracle indeed, and truly not in the sarcastic sense. Awww, such a cute story!

Paul said...

But what happened to the crabs!??

Grace said...

I needed some good Christmas cheer!

Lisa Armsweat said...

Yes, this was a real, honest-to-Joe Christmas Miracle, Lengli. Although I have witnessed many a sarcastic Christmas Miracle these days, myself. Oh yes.

Paul, the crabs probably worked there way out of those traps a long time before the rescuers got there. If not, I bet those divers helped themselves to some crabmeat. Probably offered some to the whale, too. And they all had a good, long laugh at the expense of the consumed crabs.

Grace, this kind of story is totally my idea of a good story for this time of year. I am tired of people helping people... I am whole-heartedly embracing the inter-species goodwill this year!

Cor, you got that at Sears?! I didn't think they had anything at Sears that looked handmade. Like I said, my Mom made a tree just like that in the 70s... so is there an army of endentured servant-Moms working for the Sears sweatshop now, I wonder...?

Claven said...

Back in September a gray whale surfaced about 15 feet away from my while I was surfing. It hung around the spot for the next hour. I've seen a lot of funky stuff in the water. But this was one of the coolest things that I have ever seen.