Anyone who tells you that planning a wedding is kind of stressful and can overwhelm even the most grounded couple is absolutely right. I think it's a LOT of fun, and we are having a ball thinking about the ceremony and seeing our friends and family that day, and how it will feel to transition to "married"... but last night it got to me. I cried a little because I felt like there was so much to do! I let "the details" get in the way of the fun. Crap!
Luckily, it went away. And I am back to being excited, not overwhelmed. We have some cool things planned already, and we spent the weekend visiting possible wedding sites and discussing ideas.
I am sorely disappointed in the wedding venues here in the metropolitan Phoenix area. First of all, I guess I should say that we are not rich and as such, we have set a budget. This budget leaves but a precious few wedding sites, as the ones that could pass as "nice" or "picturesque" cost about $2,000 an hour and you need to give up a kidney to the overlords before ye shall pass and enter the premises. So, we visited the one site that IS very nice, and is unique and I feel will be the place we book and have a kick-ass wedding and reception, but as a safeguard and to make sure we were SURE about the place, we wanted to check out the others in our price range. Yesterday we drove to three of them.
These three places were "reception halls" or "wedding houses." We found all three in some of those repititious and already-hideous-and-tiresome wedding magazines. All three places were closed yesterday, so we did the old Peek Over the Fence trick on two of them, and Peer In the Window trick on the last one. Which was in a strip mall. Sorry to anyone who did get married in a strip mall, but I can think of few things sadder than the Strip Mall Bargain Wedding.
Here's the common element of these three places: TACKY. Oh my sweet and gentle Jesus... why does everything "wedding" automatically include white lattice arches, and fake flowers and ivy garlands purchased at Michael's in 1994; why the plaster/resin statues of cherubs and Grecian-styled women? And I have to know this one: Why the Astroturf altar by the pool? Why must a wedding look like a Mob-connected family threw up all their old crap from the 80s and 90s all over the Arizona prefab landscape? Oh, man. I kept thinking about the potential wedding parties that must rent these places out, and I GUARANTEE those weddings have the following:
* Satin, poufy-sleeved bridesmaids gowns (colors in either pink, blue or seafoam green). There must also be a minimum of 5 bridesmaids, and at least one must be pregnant.
* A groom who is wearing a gold chain under that rented tux (the cheapest one in the store after Uncle Marty gave him the discount cuz of the groomsmen renting all them other tuxes and shit)
* A screaming, illegitimate baby somewhere in the crowd (or, maybe, in the wedding party itself)
* A five-tiered white wedding cake with real roses on the sides, and a shrill, ethnically-accented mother of the bride yelling over and over something like: "Now, SAVE that top tier, honey! Save it! You put it in your freezer and on your anniversary, you take it out and eat it together! No, be careful! Watch what you're doing, that cake cost a FORTUNE!"
* A fight in the parking lot before the night is over.
* Cheap booze. A Boone's Farm toast!
* Grandpa gets fresh with the hired help.
* Bride finishes the night in tears, no matter what. Her new husband will roll his eyes and act put-upon, and they both drive away and in the rented white limo terrified of the SPECTACLE that was HAVING A WEDDING is now over and they are expected to be "married" now. For reals. Whoa!
So yes, the bottom line is, we are not going to be contacting the managers or event coordinators of these fine wedding ceremony and reception sites. If we lived somewhere else we would probably get married in a park, on the beach, or at a quiet little bed and breakfast somewhere. But we don't, we live in Phoenix, and everything in Phoenix is either expensive as hell or crappy as hell. There's very little middle ground. And the stuff in the middle ground more than likely has you standing on dirt to get married, your veil stuck on a nearby cactus and hearing that tinny Mexican music playing somewhere in the background, since every park here on every weekend is playing host to some loud Mexican parties in every single ramada in the whole park and they always park a car close to the party and open all the doors and windows of said car and play that music at top volume. So yes, if this is your idea of an awesome wedding on a budget, I highly recommend Phoenix!
Seriously though, the place I am 99% sure we are going to rent out is quiet, secluded, totally different, it's green and near the water, so I am VERY happy indeed, and feel pretty fortunate we found it. I am not going to say where it is out of fear that some other would-be bride will read this and snatch it away before we can hand over our deposit this week. So it's staying secret for now. I do NOT want to end up at the Strip Mall.
7 comments:
Hey Lis!
Check out The Farm at South Mountain... it's awesome.. totally different, totally secluded. Even if you don't get married there, go there for lunch in Spring and hang out under one of the Pecan Trees. We would have gotten married there, but we had more people than it could hold. It's run by Santa Barbara Catering... ask for Amy Digman. She can give you the tour. Great catering company too... We hired the best company, but used their lowest price menu... more bang for the buck that way!
heyy,
you don't know me, but I read your blog all the time...feels sorta like I know you!
I was so happy for you when I read the post about the engagement cos I had been reading for so long!
Weddings are so exciting. Have you picked bridesmaids yet? What about dresses? That's the best part.
Good luck with everything!
Hey Rob! Thanks for the tip on The Farm. I checked out their site and it is gorgeous but out of our price range at the moment. Still, you never know...! We're checking out a place called Boojum Tree tonight. I'll keep you posted.
Cass-- No one is a stranger in this world of blogs. Especially on mine since I am all-inclusive like that. Thanks for the comment! And to answer your questions: I am not having bridesmaids, just my sister as Maid of Honor; and I plan to wait till summer to pick out my dress. I am going off-the-rack and super cheap. :)
wow...i am out of the loop! congratulations to you and Greg! as i approach my 4th year of wedded bliss with the Mr., i can honestly say, not too much changes after the "i do's". if you have fun and crack each other up now, you'll do the same afterward. we were only engaged for a few months before we actually did the deed, and boy was i glad, i HATED saying the word "fiancee"...*ugh* horrible word! i was glad to get to the "husband" part. cheers to you! lisahanson
Lani... WHAT?! So you guys are talking marriage? Wow! That is so cool! And if you get married out here, that means I can easily crash that bitch! Weeeeeee!
LisaH... Congrats on 4 years and welcome back to the loop! I just have a feeling that Greg & I are going to have such an awesome time as a married couple. We laugh so much! And yes, I really HATE the word fiancee too, it sounds sort of braggy or something. I have to put up with it till November--at least it's not too long.
RAE! I am a step ahead-- I bought that issue of Ready Made last week! Greg and I read it cover to cover that night, but not before the following exchange occured regarding the Ding Dong Cake on the cover:
Me: "Isn't this a cool-looking chocolate cake? We could do something like that!"
Greg: "Yeah, it is. Ummm. You know it's made out of Ding Dongs, right?"
Me: (I look closer) "Oh...yeah, I guess it is."
Greg: (laughs) "You didn't notice that? And that the headline says 'Ding Dong Cake' right there?"
Me: "No... I thought it was like, 'ding dong, the sound of bells,' cake. You know how bells go ding, dong, ding, dong..."
Greg: (Laughs and shakes his head)
Me: "I'm an idiot."
We just talked about it again last night, in fact. The Ding Dong, Ring the Bells and Eat the Snack Cake Weddin' Cake.
We also are tossing around the idea of hiding some phrases in the artwork we create for the invitations. I don't want to spoil any surprises, but one of the potential phrases might be: "Free Hot Dog With Admission! Present This Invitation to Receive Free Hot Dogs at Reception!"
Gosh darn it anyway, this wedding stuff is SO FUN. We keep laughing it up. I am so, so, SO happy it gets to be with Greg!! Yay, I love the crap out of that man!
I am very fortunate that we live 10mins away from one of the Great Lakes, so we'll be getting married right on the beach. It's not an ocean, white sand beach, but at least it's not a mall, or a golf club! And the reception will be a big BBQ in our backyard complete with lawnchairs and everything. Tacky? Maybe. But it's what we want: nice, informal, fun!
Post a Comment