Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Everytime I see the acronym, "DIY" (do it yourself), I say "DIE-EEE" in my head.
Same goes for BYOB (BEE-yobb) and FYI (Fah-why).

My oldest one, the one I have been doing since elementary school, is something I pronouce "Lebbulls." Kind of like saying "level" but with a "b" sound. It comes from going to the grocery store as a kid, and seeing the pound abbreviation of "lbs." I still say "lebbulls" ALL the time whenever I see it, sometimes even out loud to no one because I like how the word feels in my mouth.

Does anyone else do this?

9 comments:

babyjewels said...

No, but I'm easily influenced and fear I may start.

when you see the abbreviation for ounces do you say Oz, like wizard of?

Lisa Armsweat said...

Yes, I do say "oz"; most of the time, I make it plural, too, so it sounds like "ozzes" in my head.

"Bullvid" is boulevard, too.

Unknown said...

I say deeviddees for DVDs! I like how it sounds!

Christina said...

The office where I work is abbrevidated DVPA for Delaware Valley Pediatric Associates. I've been calling it "Div-pa" for four years now.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

lbs. for me is libbs
I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Brigita said...

I pronounced the word BEIGE as Beg-jee for so long, I still read it that way. It was one of my Crayola 64 crayons. Long live burnt sienna!

Anonymous said...

'libs' and 'ozzes' -- the makings of hotdogs. :)

Anonymous said...

oh my god! el-ma-ow!
(LMAO)
so yeah, i do that sometimes, too....

Fraulein N said...

I love the way your mind works.