Little known Lisa and Tricia fact: We originated the phrase "check yaself before ya wreck yaself." This photo was taken moments before we invented it at the pool club's Halloween in July costume contest in 1983. From the time we were little, we always had a lot of fun together. We both cultivated our strange senses of humor early on, and used to stay up late laughing about something stupid that we’d just thought of. Before she was even in kindergarten, she was making up weird voices and playing messed-up games with me. I’ve written about it before, but our games were often kind of dark and involved death. We played Cabbage Patch Kids hospital, and most of the time our patients did not make it. We pretended our bathtub was a crematorium. Our Annie dolls were constantly reliving that scene in the movie where Annie is hanging off of the big metal structure and Punjab has to fly in and save her… only a lot of times when we played it, Annie fell and the other dolls gathered around and talked about how sad it was that she was dead. Ah, memories.
I could go on and on reliving some of my funniest memories of her, but instead I will just list some stuff here:
* I tried to take her to a walking labyrinth in Sedona for her birthday one year. We drove up there and on the way, I realized I’d left the directions to the labyrinth at home. So I tried to remember where it was from my memory of the one time I had already been to this labyrinth, and couldn’t find it. Finally, I was so confident that this one street was where it was. I drove down there, getting her all psyched up as we sped down this road, saying things like, “This is it! You are really gonna like this!”…and we got to the end of the road and it was the City Dump. We never did find the labyrinth. And that was the year I took Tricia to the City Dump for her birthday. How can I possibly top that? (I like capitalizing City Dump!)
I knew Tricia was really gonna like this. * She’s good at doing accents, and one of my favorite things is when I make her use her old Native American Indian man voice. She says, “Spirit of the Wind! Please leave me alone!” in that voice and I crack up every time.
* We’ve had some car adventures, like the time she choked on an ice cube while I was driving and I pulled over into the parking lot of some school we were driving past, and ran around to her side of the car, pulled her out, and hugged her from behind and screamed, “I don’t know what to do!” in her face. That’s how I found out I suck in times of stress. Luckily, she coughed up the ice cube and then just laughed her ass off at my lack of tact. Screaming “I don’t know what to do!” is not the way to perform the Heimlich maneuver and calm the victim. Trust me on this one.
* We directed a play together a few years ago as co-directors, and it was a lot of fun because we think the same way about a lot of stuff, so I would start giving a direction and Trish would finish my sentence or add to it, and vice versa. It was cool because we scouted out an actor for the show, and he accepted the part and was the most grateful, sweet guy in the world about it. Plus, she had to jump in and take over a part when one of the girls in the show just stopped showing up for rehearsals, and she did a great job. In one scene she played a mentally-challenged girl who did nothing but sit in a chair with a scowl on her face and yell “NO!” while eating popcorn. During one performance, the popcorn was pretty dry and she inhaled a piece and had to cough it out on stage—and she did it in character and it was hilarious. Poor Allison was acting opposite when it happened, and I was watching from the side of the stage and it was the funniest thing to see the two of them trying so hard not to laugh and keep the scene going.
* The other night in Target, I was waiting for her to pick something out when I spotted the shelf where Uristat was displayed. I said, “URINARY TRACT INFECTION” in a loud, robot voice for no real reason. She started laughing and we kept talking about urinary tract infections in monotone robot voices the rest of the night. Stuff like, “Please do not swim downstream of ME. The bacteria in my URINARY TRACT could hit you.” And it is because of things like this… totally nonsense mutterings, stupid voices and gross humor…that my sister is still my best girlfriend in the world. Plus I can call her and bitch about stuff, or ask her opinion on whether or not I should dye my hair a certain color.
It’s really cool being your sister, Trish. Now if we could just work on your halitosis problem, and finally teach you how to read, you just might become a productive member of society yet. Happy Birthday, you old whore!

(Gratuitous movie quote: “All right, Joanne Greenwald, you horrible thing. Here’s your chance to go out with a real stud.”)
11 comments:
Holy crap.... my word verification is turpes. Do you think that is a case of turtle herpes? Hmmm? Oh, right, where was I?
Happy birthday Trish! I already sent you well wishes on Myspace but I am saying it here as well.
Hey Trish, if you are reading this Jenny L and I were chatting at the Dublin House the other day and she wants me to be her "date" to your 10th HS reunion. We both want you to go SO BADLY. You in? I didn't go to mine because all of my friends were in your grade. Please go!
Oh, hi Lisa by the way. Funny blog. I love reading about you and Trish's adventures. You two are the bomb.
Yeah, um, my English kind of sucks in that last sentence. "You and and Trish's"-- ouch. Sorry, I was typing fast. I really am edjamacated.
Happy birthday to Trish and a happy belated birthday to you, Lisa (sorry it's so late, I been outta town)! To my favorite Arizona Gemini sisters, a fantastic new year.
Also, in response to your movie quote - "Unless you're a cheapskate. ...BUTTTT I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt."
Wow, thanks Lisa!!! That was quite the moving tribute!
I too will never forget that birthday at the City Dump of Sedona (who knew all those new age fruits use Charmin too??), and as you may or may not know, "I..would...like..to..swim..in...your..pool...but..unFORtunaely...I..have..a..URINARY..tract..inFECTION."(waves arms in robotic motion)
You are the best sister I could have ever been lucky enough to get. However, now I feel like a real shit having not posted a nice 'Happy Birthday LISA' message on my blog. Hmmmm. Perhaps I need to get some planning for a future blog done!
Janine-I am totally going to the reunion. I plan to do whatever is necessary to cough up not only that piece of crouton from my salad last night, but also the funds for a plane ticket to NJ! Tell Jenny I would not miss an opportunity to sit at the corner table with you guys and make fun of the popular guys who are now fat and bald, my ex included!! YAY!
Lengli-Thank you for your well wishes. I am confident that a cure will be found soon. However until that magical day arrives, I can be comforted by the news that your tasty car is sleeping in an auto-cocoon on your FRONT LAWN.
:)
Happy Belated Birthday, Trish! I think I would love to hang out with you guys; "Spirit of the Wind! Please leave me alone!" is cracking me up. I can imagine the voice and everything.
I find this blog hilarious! I read it at work almost evry day and end up laughing - unless it is sad. I just laughed for 10 minutes straight and even hit a snort becasue of the Urinary Tract Infection in a robotic voice comment. I love that! Also the city dump story was a classic!I also liked the one with Allison- she is my unofficial sister I had to wait to get until college but she was worth the wait because we also enjoy random, glorious adventures and catch phrases together. Just thought I would share!
Naynay-- I hope you go to their 10-year reunion and start a drunken conversation about 'turtle herpes.' Thanks for saying me and my sister are the bomb! That makes me feel like I am cool or something. (In reality? I'm the biggest dork.)
Lengli-- Happy birfday yo damn self! Geminis are awesome, are we not? And I love your choice in Joanne Greenwald quotes. Moving on with, "Here, go buy yourself a new...leotard, or something."
Trish--Yeah, what's up with no moving tribute to me?! I will comment more to you later.
Fraulein-- Yeah, you'd probably like us. She also does a very good Scottish accent, but that Indian guy voice is the best. :)
Thanks for the bidet (that's French for "bday") wishes, lady! I shall continue with *huffily stuffes money down the front of my leotard* and raise you "it's got raisins in it. You like raisins!"
Lengli, I remember how much you liked the fudge-nut brownie in this one. And, huh! Corn in seasoned sauce. He likes corn!
"It's genuine aardvark fur."
"Everyone is going to be wearing one of these!"
Aww! I LOVE this post! It cracked me up and I really needed the mood boost!
Happy birthday, Trish! I hope Lisa lived up to it, celebration-wise, this year!
Post a Comment