Well, the stupid bastards did it.
They changed formats on one of the only stations I listen to. If you're here in Phoenix, I'm talking about 101.5 FreeFM.
I am upset because the Adam Carolla Show will no longer be broadcast in Phoenix. It comes a big surprise to me, because I was under the impression that it was a hit show in this market. I had hated morning radio until maybe about six months ago when I got into the ACS. He's a funny dude. He gets great guests on the show, and his rants were great. (Of course, there was the problem of Danny Bonaduce being on the show... I mean, that guy is an ass and he really is not funny in the slightest...but I could overlook it since Adam and Theresa Strasser were so good.)
This morning I got in the car expecting to perhaps hear Joel McHale talking about what will be on The Soup this weekend, and to my complete horror, what came out of my speakers was this terrible dance music playing and a guy came on the air who was doing a completely offensive impression of a gay man and playing Paris Hilton songs. I wondered if it was a joke, until I checked into it online just now and realized it was a done deal. The station has changed formats, and the talk shows are all history. Now we get crappy music and a guy talking in a bad queer voice and giving 'snaps' to the callers?! Because yeah...the radio dial in Phoenix really did need one more dance-hip-hop-R&B station because we didn't have enough of those already. Maybe next they can eliminate a few other stations to make room for a few more Spanish stations, perchance? Muy bueno!
I am really glad that I got out of radio very early. It's hard to believe what it has become; of course, it's been most dramatic in the last 10 years even though the changes were already happening when I was in college learning to cart up station promos. I know how I am, and I could never really deal with all this changing formats/ station buyouts and all the other crap without losing my mind.
RIP, Adam Carolla Show. And fuck the hell out of you, new 101.5. Seriously.
3 comments:
That's awful. I hate when that happens. But this new switch in your neck of the woods sounds most awful.
Honestly Jen, it is heinous. The music they've been playing since Friday is soooo bad. And it was true... I hadn't been listening to the radio much at all (because it already sucks pretty badly here) until I realized how funny Adam Carolla was. Now that they took that away from us-- there is no hope. Only a black hole of radio despair.
I'm so thankful for my trusty MP3 player. :)
I am sorry for your loss. When 106.3 changed in 2000, I was very upset. About 4 years ago, the morning show actually became tolerable thanks to Brian and Jen in the mornings. Well- they just changed the format AGAIN to all teeny bopper type rock (Blink 182, Panic at the Shitsco) and Brian and Jen were fired. I NEVER listen to radio these days. It is heinous indeed.
Post a Comment