Friday, September 14, 2007

The cool chick over at Below the Eight had this fun little music meme on her blog today, and since it's Friday and things are winding down for the weekend, it felt like as good a time as any to play along.

The Rules:
Put your mp3 player or music player on your computer on random.

Post the first four lines from the first 20 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song (Skip repeat artists).

Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from. TRY NOT TO CHEAT BY GOOGLING.

Here are my songs. Guess away!

1. I haven’t ever really found a place that I call home
I never stick around quite long enough to make it
I apologize for once again I’m not in love,
But it’s not as if I mind that your heart ain’t exactly breaking

2. To whom can I speak today, the brothers they are equal
But old friends of today have all become unlovable,
To whom can I speak today, the gentleness has perished

3. I’ve found a new baby, I’ve found a new girl
My fashion-plate baby got me in a whirl, whirl whirl
Her new kind of lovin’ done made me her slave
Her sweet turtle dovin’ is all that I crave

4. Because Mutiny on the Bounty’s what we’re all about
I’m gonna board your ship and turn it on out
No soft sucker with a parrot on his shoulder
Cuz I’m bad getting bolder and cold getting colder

5. Childhood living is easy to do
The things you wanted I bought them for you
Graceless lady you know who I am
You know I can’t let you slide through my hands

6. I’m not no red football to be kicked around the garden, oh no
I’m a red Christmas tree ball, and I’m fragile
I’m not no animal, though I am to you
I’m not no crocodile, like the one in Dublin Zoo

7. What did you think I would do at this moment?
When you’re standing before me with tears in your eyes
Trying to tell me that you have found you another
You just don’t love me no more.

8. Under the surface so crystal clear
Everyone was really tense, waiting down there
He had his own world just like I had mine
We’ll go separate ways, till the next time

9. You’ve got to fight for it
After all it’s yours
Don’t let the world push you down
Into its core

10. There’s a doctor living in your town,
There’s a lawyer and an Indian too, and neither
Doctor, lawyer nor Injun Chief can love you anymore than I do.

11. You can’t know, oh no, you can’t know
How much I think about you, no
It’s making my head spin

12. All alone on the floor
Next to your twin bed spring and mattress
The door is jar, and from afar
You can hear bands practicing

13. Are you lonesome tonight?
Do you miss me tonight?
Are you sorry we drifted apart?

14. Sometimes we walk hand in hand by the sea,
And we breathe in the cool salty air
You turn to me with a kiss in your eyes
And my heart feels a thrill beyond compare

15. Girls won’t touch me ‘cuz I got a misdirection
Living at night isn’t helping my complexion
The signs are all saying it’s a social infection
A little bit of fun’s never been an insurrection

16. Well I think I hate you, isn’t this fun
You’re gonna shoot, and darlin’ I’m loading the gun
I think I’m dumb, what train did you step off of, anyway?
I really don’t care.

17. Still don’t know what I was looking for
And my time was running wild a million dead-end streets and
Every time I thought I’d got it made
It seemed the taste was not so sweet

18. Now in Vienna, there’s ten pretty women
There’s a shoulder where death comes to cry,
There’s a lobby with nine hundred windows,
There’s a tree where the doves go to die.

19. Hands touch, eyes meet
A sudden silence, a sudden beat
Hearts leap in a giddy whirl
He could be that boy, but I’m not that girl

20. You were laying on the carpet
Like you’re satin in a coffin
You said, do you believe what you’re saying, and oh yeah,
But not that often

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh... I recognize #s 1, 7, 13 and 19...

Lisa Armsweat said...

Alright, since no one but Shades stepped up to plate with their guesses, I'm going ahead and telling anyone who cares what they are, because I am impatient:

1. "Life for Rent", Dido
2. "The Man Who Loved Beer", David Byrne
3. "I've Found a New Baby," Squirrel Nut Zippers
4. "Rhymin' and Stealin'", Beastie Boys
5. "Wild Horses," The Sundays
6. "Red Football," Sinead O' Connor
7. "At This Moment," Billy Squires
8. "Captain Nemo," Sarah Brightman
9. "Shine," Hungry Lucy
10. "Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief," Betty Hutton
11. "Flying High," Jem
12. "Little Round Mirrors," Harvey Danger
13. If you don't know this, you are probably brain damaged. Sorry.
14. "Wonderful Wonderful," Johnny Mathis
15. "Final Solution," Peter Murphy
16. "Bossa Nova," Shivaree
17. "Changes," David Bowie
18. "Take This Waltz," Leonard Cohen
19. "I'm Not That Girl," Wicked soundtrack
20. "Satin in a Coffin," Modest Mouse

Fraulein N said...

Only one I actually knew was #19, natch.

I thought it was "sudden silence, sudden heat," though. Will have to check liner notes when I get home.

cass said...

i knew 1 and thought i'd do well from there, but when i skimmed through i got to 19 and got excited.
ohhh 19
understated lovely song

Anonymous said...

#2 is originally by a band called Lambchop. It's from their album "How I Quit Smoking", released back in 1996. David Byrne covered it later in 2004. I suggest you seek out the Lambchop version. It's far superior.