
Calming Devices
I found out that the noise I hear coming from the ceiling in our office is not really the ventilation system...it's a white noise machine. I just think it's weird that someone thought to use something like that. I guess it is a good thing, because I heard the office without it when the electric went out one day, and it was oddly silent and you could hear people talking way, way, waaaaay on the other side of the cube farm. And I don't really want to hear those people talking. And I don't want them to hear me, either. I prefer it when voices are masked, I have come to realize.
Still, for whatever reason, a white noise machine makes me think of those squeeze chutes they use in abbatoirs when killing livestock... the sensation of being held in place makes the animals relax and it's safer and more humane to slaughter them at that point.
The white noise machine soothes the common office worker, and makes them relax somewhat. This makes is safer for management to be in the vicinity, and keeps the workers from having a violent uprising/stampede when management has to add new projects, duties and hold long-winded meetings.
5 comments:
I will have to check out if I hear any sounds similar to a white noise machine when I get to my job. I hope no one slaughters me while I am sitting there, relaxing. Jeez! ;)
Sorry, I didn't mean to give you a new thing to worry about! Don't worry, ain't no one gonna be slaughtering Naynay at her shiny new job. In fact, they might even let you out in the fields to roam and play once in awhile and give you a nice play to bed down. Good luck!
Heh. Free-range naynay.
Baack Baack.......
Step one - white noise machine.
Step two - Full frontal labotomy.
Be careful! You should talk to your union steward about that (before the labotomy of course).
Post a Comment