Sunday, October 14, 2007

Can anyone tell me why the most unintelligent, easily-confused people on the entire planet are the same ones who choose to use the Self-Serve checkout lanes at stores? I can always count on the morons to be out in full force when I get up to the checkout in places like the grocery store or Wal-Mart.

If you know you don't know how to work the scanners and stuff yourself, please get on a regular lane and have someone do it for you. Don't hold up the line as you stare with your mouth agape at the little screen; don't do something so back-asswards that a manager needs to come over and enter some code to fix your mistake; don't wonder why your crumpled and sweaty dollar bills won't go into the slot, but go on and keep shoving them in anyway. Maybe they'll magically go in after the 16th time you try.

I have to admit it's humorous to watch some of these people in action as I stand there waiting for my turn. I can almost smell the smoke of their brains trying to kick into high gear to get through this task. I laugh when I see the people who go up to the self-serve scanners with nothing but booze, and then they need cigarettes... when you buy booze, an attendant has to come over anyway and take down your license info and, in most cases, remove a security tag... and then the attendant has to come back again to get the cigarettes out of the locked case over near the service desk, anyway... why not just take care of all of this at a regular register? Well, I guess someone living off a diet of store-brand bourbon and Marlboro's isn't going to have the sharpest mental capacity when all's said and done. I shouldn't laugh at the feeble-minded. They know not what they do.

They also don't know how to use birth control, from the looks of it. The way it's going, the future really will look like the future in Idiocracy.

6 comments:

lengli said...

It's times like these that I actually get belligerent and start providing help that no one has asked for. Needless to say, my roommate is reluctant to go grocery shopping with me.

Fraulein N said...

See, that's why I found Idiocracy both funny and terrifying.

Anonymous said...

What I hate more are the times I go in for ONE item, don't WANT to use the stupid self check, get into the "express" line, and everyone else in that line HAS to remind me "you do know that you can go through the self check, right?"

I don't wanna. I DON'T WANNA! In the same way that I do not want to use the stupid APC at the post office because I have CASH ON HAND and don't want another charge on my credit card.
I DON'T WANNA, I TELL YA!

Fraulein N said...

I hate the self checkout because there's never enough room for you to put all your items after you ring them up, and the machine starts tattling on you if you take something off the little counter but you really need the room and you have to try to convince the self checkout monitor that you're not trying to steal and it's all very confusifying and stressful.

*breathe*

Paul said...

I'm against the self-serve check out. It takes jobs away from surly teenagers.

Anonymous said...

I agree with lenli. I've helped people in the self service lane just to speed things up- so sad. I hate it when the stupid receipt machine runs out of tape. I love it when they leave it out so I can just fix it myself. Self-service indeed.