Wednesday, October 31, 2007

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
That's the pumpkin Greg and I carved at a pumpkin carving party this past weekend. Also, our two Halloween decorations that are currently on display at our house.

Something odd is going on this year. So many people--ourselves included-- just didn't get into the Halloween spirit. This makes me sad that I didn't really go all out like I usually do. I didn't put a costume together this year, we didn't decorate the house and we didn't do a lot of Halloween-related activities. I'm chalking it up to the unseasonably hot temperatures we've been having lately (it has yet to feel like fall, with temperatures almost at 100 the past couple of weeks) and the fact that I was sick for so many weeks and then Greg got sick, too. Neither of us has felt like putting the effort forth to build costumes or pull the bins of Halloween decorations out of storage.

Well, at least today feels like Halloween a little, because my job is AWESOME. I heard that people dress up here, there are contests and a company potluck, but I had no idea how neat it would be when I got here this morning. A whole row of offices are decorated like a jail, with people in prisoner outfits... almost half the office is in costume, and they had a costume parade through the building this morning. We got to vote for our favorites and later there will be a potluck. I used to scoff at potlucks, because at my past jobs they always sucked so badly, but given the way people get into the spirit here and how cool people are, I am looking forward to lunch today because I think there will be some good stuff there. I'm still just sitting here in awe that I can hear the motion-activated ghoul near the front desk making creepy noises anytime someone walks past, and people are laughing and talking around the cube farm. It's so nice to work somewhere with people who GET IT. And it doesn't even feel corny in an Office Space kind of way, either.

Tonight the plan is to not be home. We're going to a movie. The trick or treaters in our neighborhood are just too much. They come in swarms of 30 kids, and we ran out of candy last year only about an hour in. I had to run out and buy more. And they kept coming. And then they got older as the night went on, until we had nothing but teenagers NOT in costume showing up at our door. Sorry, but you shouldn't get candy if you're not dressed up. And if you're old. Asshole kids. Plus, a good chunk of the kids never even said TRICK OR TREAT. Just held their bags out and stared at us. And did I mention not many of them said thank you? How hard is it to say two freakin' words when people are giving you something?? It pissed me off SO MUCH. And so, this year, we're being the bastards who aren't giving out candy. But that's what the kids forced us to do. We had no choice but to react this way. If they start following the rules of Halloween, we'll start offering candy again.

Bah humbug! Or, Bah humspider!

Have a great Halloween, and may your trick or treaters be pleasant and arrive in orderly groups of 5 or less. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pumpkin! GREAT job!
Da Momma

Lisa Armsweat said...

Thanks, Mom! :)

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

Very cool pumpkin indeed.

Fraulein N said...

Okay, I'll say it: those trick-or-treaters in your neighborhood don't deserve no damn candy.

Your office sounds like a cool place.

Anonymous said...

Nice Punkin', Punkin'. :-) I was not in the spirit this year either. I think that stinks because I love Halloween. Sigh....