Saturday, February 26, 2005

The day was productive and ended up being enjoyably fun. I did better than expected without Dogs Squared, which was a relief. I thought I'd be crying like a big pussy bitch all day. My mom helped me clear my half of the junk from the storage unit, and then we all had lunch at Carlsbad Tavern. Man, I love that restaurant. Anyplace that has bat decor is a-ok in my book. Which reminds me... why is Batman so damn cool? I just get all jazzed over those type of characters-- the tortured hero. And ordinary man, pushed to extremes to personify his demons and make the wrongs right. Oh yeah, me likes me some tortured souls. I do, though. Can't help it.

Tonight I finally got to see a movie. The lord be praised! Must be all that Pope magic-- he has been told not to speak, after all, so his Holy Eppervescence is forced to be released out into the universe through his old man pores. He should bottle it up more often, because it came out in concentrated Pope-force, and I think I am not the only one who's feeling a little nicer tonight... you feelin' it, Jamie Foxx?

Imagine being a Big Superstar(TM) and you're trying to go to sleep tonight, the night before the Oscars. I can't even sleep the night before I know I have a meeting at work where I need to present stuff-- imagine having to do the Oscars as a nominee. I'd crap myself, thinking that the whole entire universe would be looking at my picture, analyzing my dress, jewelry, hair and date choices; and then worrying about trying to get up and speak if I was unlucky enough to win. However, I am enjoying imagining what the nominees are doing right this very second, and who is snorting what blow off of which Hilton stomach. Oh, those Big Superstars(TM)! Always with the blow.

Anyway... I digress. I saw "Constantine" tonight with Trish. We really liked it; and not only did it make me so happy and proud to be a diehard Vertigo fan, but to still have that raggedy old Vertigo pin hanging off my favorite black purse. Now I have to admit to only reading through some Hellblazer comics back in college when my boyfriend at the time would read them; I'd pick up Books of Magic, he'd get Hellblazer. Even though I didn't buy a bunch of Hellblazers (I had to cut the habit back to only three titles around that time, and that didn't make the cut), I still recognize the Vertigo voice and get all happy when I hear it. I am such a huge sucker for movies like Constantine, and I don't care, I really have no problems with Keanu Reeves. I don't think he's fantastic or anything, but I couldn't think of another actor that could have played stoic-yet-tortured John Constantine. Or Marlon in "I Love You to Death." "...What?"

Anyway, fun night. After the movie, Trish and I went to Denny's and had Oreo sundaes and had an intense discussion about Christianity, religion, evolution and brain chemistry/ endorphins/ neurons firing at the time of death. It was great. See, we are not all just about taking pictures of ourselves smiling next to toilets or throwing tortillas off the balcony or fake choking our mother in Wal-Mart (which I'm guilty of doing this very afternoon). Sometimes we talk about other stuff.

I am listening to a pretty good mix right now. First it was Clare Fader, the awesome song titled "Cabin Fever." My God, it has been a long time since I heard a singer that made me flip out the way she has. I can't get enough of this crap lately. Her and Jill Tracy. ("Evil Night Together") Wow. Anyway, first it was Cabin Fever, then it was a version of "Cuts You Up" by someone named Polly H., and now it's one of my favorite songs: "And I know that you feel it too...when my skin turns into glue..." yes, again, it's "In the Cold Cold Night" by The White Stripes. Man, I don't know why that song is so fucking cool, but it is. It makes me want to slink around and dance in sock-feet in front of a fireplace with a cute dude with messy hair and 5 o'clock shadow scratching my cheek. Update: Mood Over. It's now on "Bless You" by Tony Orlando. (PLEASE go back and click that link!) On second thought, I need to reconfigure this mix. Not that I don't love Bless You, too, but it doesn't follow Meg very well. I must be a slow typer because now I am listening to "China" by Tori Amos.

I met Tori Amos once. I won a contest in the newspaper the first month I lived in Arizona. It was a drawing and I sent my entry in a magenta envelope with huge black letters on the dront. And I won two tickets to her show, a couple of her CDs, and autographed lithograph poster and a chance to go backstage and get my picture taken with her. I took Mike with me, and it was fun because she was very beautiful and fairy-ish in real life, wearing jeans and a boring gray sweater. And she was so short! In the picture with her, Mike and I are towering over her. She was very gracious and nice to us, and signed the Polaroid for us. Honestly, her recent music has gotten a little inaccessible to me. I feel like I am taking a poetry class and I just can't grasp the style so I'm getting a D when I listen to her more recent stuff. Yet, I keep buying her albums. I think it's out of loyalty more than actual desire to hear her new stuff. She's pretty much the only artist I do that with. Must be that ass grab she gave me that day when I met her. Yeee-oww.

Church time now on the mix for a moment: it's "How Great Thou Art," my favorite hymn. What can I say, I like to rock to Jesus. I did mention my band right... imagine this song as a punk song. I'm telling you, I can rock it better than you think. (The version I am listening to is bluegrass though, so don't get too crazy now.)

I am free associating this blog post. I am really so tired and I don't feel like going to bed yet, so here I type. Last song I will mention: "Waiting for the Miracle" by Leonard Cohen. This is one of my favorite night driving songs. I wouldn't mind cruising along a deserted road with the cute guy I was slinking around with to "In the Cold Cold Night" and having to pull over so we can look at the stars and chew some Big Red or something on our way to a hotel we've never been to. There would be hot cocoa, too, and wool something-or-other. "Most of you was naked...oh, but some of you was light. The sands of time haven fallen from your fingers and your thumbs... and you were waiting for the miracle... for the miracle to come..." Give me just a sliver of bare wrist from underneath your sweater sleeve... I'll hold it with my fingertips and give you a wink. I better go. Goodnight.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You and me on the East Coast? I can't imagine a more dangerous pairing of hot chixxx! We'd take over state after state with our clever banter and water balloon throwing accuracy! We would SO make the news.