Monday, April 11, 2005

I hope I like green. I mean, really like the color green, a lot. Because I spent my entire weekend working on the office-room in my house, and now it is almost complete. But it is GREEN. Maybe too green. Have I mentioned it is green?

I am kind of bad at picking paint colors. I see all those little cards with the sample colors on them at the hardware store and I freak out and grab about 30 of them. I had a bunch of "greenish" cards and was trying to do what the books and magazines tell you to do-- look at the colors in the room you want to paint, in different lights and at different times of the day to find the color you want. Only problem is after awhile about 5 of the cards start to look the same. So I literally just sighed and circled one of them and yesterday morning, I went off to the store and purchased a gallon of the paint and went home and started painting. (I spent an exciting Saturday evening spackling, sanding and priming the room. Who says I don't know how to live it up, like in the movies? Probably more than a few people could say that, sure.)

This took all day. And yes, I am not quite done yet. I am still doing the little edges near the ceiling and the floor, and after that I need to paint the trim. But I have begun to notice the room is GLOWING now. Literally. The shade I chose is a jade-green with a blueish undertone to it, basically a medium green. Or, picture that color the plain green Crayola is.

I was looking at some newspaper strewn about the floor in the room this morning when I went in to turn the fan on (I won't even get into the paint fumes and the weird dreams I am convinced they made me have last night), and noticed the pages were tinted green. So was the metal part of the brush lying on the floor. And the ceiling. And everything else. It was like the fucking Wizard was hiding in there somewhere in this grand room of Emerald City-colored magic. It might be tough on the eyes after you are in there for a few hours, or minutes, depending on your electric-green limits.

So I am beginning to think, "Did I paint it the right color?" I am not sure. To find out, I need to have Trish come over. That's what I do. I count on my sister to make decisions on anything even vaguely "arty." Color is art, so she ought to know if it's a weird shade or just really ultra-hip or something. Well, to be honest, I also make her make my decisions for me regarding my haircuts as well. This probably means I am just lazy and/or I don't care enough about my own looks to do it myself. I guess I also can't even pick colors for my own walls without her. Next thing you know the poor girl is going to get a call from me: "Should I pee first or poop first? I can't tell!"

This weekend was definitely a busy one. I borrowed "The Incredibles" from a co-worker on Friday, and all weekend I tried to make time to watch it. Last night, I finally put it on while I was eating dinner, but had to turn it off because "Arrested Development" came on. It was another good episode, and I was happy to see Zach Braff make an appearance as a NeverNude video director. But I didn't get back to the Incredibles because I went back to painting until I finally had to go to bed. Those Incredibles sure seem-- Incredible. I need to watch the rest to be sure, though.

I don't think this is one of my better posts, but maybe the next one will be different. One last thing about painting: I made a conscious decision NOT to paint buzzed on alcohol, which is a good thing. As I briefly insinuated, the fumes might have been getting to me anyway. At one point I was yelling to Malcolm through the closed door to the room, "Go for help, Tiny Malone! Help, I can't get out, hellllppp!" Tiny Malone is a name I gave him a couple weeks ago, and for some reason I was laughing my ass off calling him that through the door and pretending I was 'trapped' in with the paint. Maybe I was. And then Katie started barking and getting in on the action, scratching the bottom of the door, and I yelled to her, "That's right, Blackie Smackbitch, you got to help a sistah out!" I stuck some paper under the door and she clawed it up in her attempt to "free me" from the painted room. And I was laughing the whole time and yelling.

See, I DO know how to have a good time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm getting a kitten and I think you should name it for me. You have a KNACK with pet names, or pet nick names as it were. Tiny Malone - classic.

brianna said...

Phew! Sure glad I saw this post before I started planning on painting our new house green!!! But actually, I should stop by and immerse myself in your room for awhile. We are starting the Wizard of Oz costumes next week and it might inspire me.

Lisa Armsweat said...

HG, you might want to consider naming the kitten Peeves. (So you can say, this is my pet, Peeves) You can find the right name if you only believe...!
And Brianna, ask yourself: are you ready for this much green? It's really a lot.
Both of you: do yourself a favor and order "The Elephant's Baby" by Clare Fader off of Amazon. I just got it today in the mail and I am floored. So excellent!