Thursday, October 23, 2003

As I was driving into work this morning, there was a guy standing on the side of the road facing the traffic. He was probably about mid-forties by my estimation, because he held himself like a young scrappy guy, but his skin was very tanned and cracked-looking, making his face look older when you got closer. Anyway, he stood there waving the traffic on. That's all he was doing: directing the traffic to keep driving. There was no accident ahead; no obstructions in the road; he was not wearing a road crew vest or anything... nope, he was just waving people to keep driving past.

I felt glad on some level that I was able to follow his directions. It probably made him happy that the cars kept moving on this busy street. He must have felt partly responsible for all of us getting to work on time. Good for him.

No comments: