Thursday, April 28, 2005

A dog died in my car tonight. I am so fucked up right now. I was driving home from a date, I was having a happy day, I bought a cool new shirt and a silver wrist cuff, my writing has been kicking ass lately, I had a beer and a salad and I was well, happy. And then I see a dog in the road ahead. It was a large, yellow dog that looked I swear to GOD like my dog, Sam. The one I had when I was a teenager, and the one I think I will always love and miss, no matter how many other dogs I have in my life--he's the ultimate dog, in my mind. Anyway, I stopped my car and put on the hazards and tried to catch him--put him in my car to try to save him so he wouldn't get hit. Only I was too late. As I tried to get him to follow me into my car, he all the sudden bolted into the other lane of traffic and I saw him get hit. Have you ever seen a dog get hit by a car? He FLEW. It made a thump. The car had tried to stop but it was too late. The dog flew... he skidded, and slid. He was screaming. God help me, right now. He was screaming.

I don't know. I just panicked. I ran across the road and other cars had stopped, including the guy who had hit him. It was so terrible... the dog actually got up and ran into an alley. i thought that was a good sign. If he could move he wasn't hurt too bad, maybe. Me and some other people followed him and someone had a blanket. Me, the guy and this other girl loaded him into the back of my car. He wasn't bleeding or anything. The girl knew where an emergency vet clinic was, but it was about 15-20 minutes away. We headed off, and the poor dog lay in the back of my car, not moving a lot, but still breathing and we figured, probably in shock. Gosh, I kept petting him over the seat and telling him he was a good boy. I prayed and wondered why this had to happen, you know? Like, this dog was just fine one minute, and then fucking flying through the air and screaming a second later. And now we were trying to race him to the vet to save his life. He had no tags on and we couldn't call an owner, obviously.

We got to the vet, and I knew he wasn't alive anymore. He wasn't responding to my touch at all, and when I ran around and opened the car door his eyes were open and blood was everywhere on his face. I guess he had internal bleeding. I shook him and yelled at him, still calling him a good boy... FUCK! It was terrible. We carried him into the vet, blood was everywhere at that point, and the vet said there was no heartbeat. Too fucking late.

Honestly, this is a nightmare of mine. I have actually had this nightmare. I have always prayed I wouldn't see an animal get killed like that. I didnt think I had the balls to take it, you know? I am such a huge animal lover, as anyone who fucking reads this blog knows. I can't believe this, and I feel so helpless. I tried so, so hard to save this poor dog, who was probably a good dog because he was a collie mixed with a golden retriever-- just like Sam. I mean seriously, that's the other part I can't get over in the slightest. He looked fucking exactly like my dog. And the last time I saw my dog was when he died on the vet's table when we put him to sleep. I still have these horrible thoughts of how he sighed, and his eyes stayed looking at me right until he died. This, what happened tonight, is too much of a reminder of the suckiest thing I ever had to do. It is too much. I seriously can't believe this shit.

You know, you just drive around and you don't look. Who looks around, really? You don't react fast enough, and things like this happen. It could have been me. I could have hit him and made him fly through the air and scream. How clueless are we, 99% of the time, really? We just go about our day, not really realizing how close we come to being killed or killing. It blows my mind. This is not cool. At least this poor dog died in a quiet car, on a blanket, and not in the road, and he didn't get hit twice or something. But what if someone is looking for that dog right now? What was his name? Are they going to put up lost dog signs; and if I see one I know I will have to call and tell them what happened because I sure as hell would want to know what happened to my dog. Still. This was an ordinary night. Totally fun and happy day. And just like that I am all fucked up now. Isn't that just the fucking bitch of it all? Don't you hate that? Don't you want to punch a hole through a wall over the insane randomness of it all? Ah, fuck.

Normally I wouldn't post this stuff here, but this blog has sort of taken on its own form and I feel like sharing this with you all who read this. I write funny and I love this blog for its outlet-giving powers, you know? And I need it tonight. I need to grieve for a dog I didn't know, but died quietly in my backseat only three or four minutes before we pulled up to the vet hospital. He was a good dog, and he is gone and I couldn't save him. I would have done anything in those minutes from the moment I tried to coax him into my car until we pulled up to get him to safety and patch him up and save his life. I save things. I do that. I have taken in strays, and gotten dogs back into their yards safely. And this is the first one I couldn't. It sucks so fucking much. Any advice you have to try to get bad images out of your head so you can sleep and drive down the road where you saw something that sucked like this, send it, I fucking need it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, I'm not very good at comforting or anything but I'm really sorry. That's one of the saddest things I've ever read. I could sense your tears flowing as you were writing it. Just getting it out of your system with this post will do a lot of good and I know from the short time reading this blog that you will have a lot of support from your friends.

At least you stopped and did something. I was on my way to work one morning last year and in the middle of the freeway there was a Goose walking with about 12 of her chicks. I swerved and went around them but didn't stop and now almost everytime I pass that spot I think about it and feel really awful.

I easily could have pulled over and shooed them back the other way into the woods but I didn't and now I have no idea what happened to them. I hope they turned out alright but who knows. I think that's worse than knowing. At least you did what you could do to help and that counts for much more than the end result in my book.

theghosher said...

Hey Lisa,

You brought me to a standstill today. I torture myself everytime I see something regarding animial cruelty, I almost have to stop and read it, even though it tears me up inside. What happend to you made my get all sorts of choked up and realy feel for you. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I have the same nightmare with Jake... I couldn't imagine my life without him, and couldn't imagine seeing him get hit by a car. I don't know what I'm trying to accomplish with this comment.. I'm just rambling, but you did such a good thing for him. You gave him a place to die in peace instead of alone in an alley. I wish I could have been there to help you. I wish there were more people like you.

Love you.... Ghosh

Christina said...

I'm so sorry that happened. About seven years ago I was driving down to North Carolina and saw a dog get hit a few cars in front of me. It was the worst thing I've ever seen and I still think about it sometimes. I like dogs a lot more than people (a fact that irritates my husband to no end -- too bad for him), and I can't imagine what you're going through right now. Just remember that you did everything you could, and that the dog was taken care of until the very end, and that it made him feel a lot better that you were there, comforting him and trying to help. I hope you feel better soon. :)

brianna said...

Oh, Lisa... I am in tears reading this post... I am so so sorry you had to go through that! What a horrible thing to witness! But that poor dog was so lucky to at least have a kind person take care of him in his last few moments. Poor, poor doggie. *sigh* I hate drivers that don't pay attention.

Lisa Armsweat said...

Thanks for all the nice words. I thought about coming on here to delete this post, since I hate to be a downer, but changed my mind when I read what you all wrote. Thank you for caring, and for sharing your stories with me. It's so hard to feel helpless. And animals are so defenseless in our world... it just makes for a sucky, depressing combination when death gets involved.
Either way, I appreciate all of you, my friends. And here's the though that has me pissed off today: that dog was not wearing any tags, and he was not neutered. So not only were his owners assholes for not giving him an ID tag, they chose to go the ignorant route too and that is probably the reason the dog was out wandering around in the first place (trying to mate). Makes me fucking sick.

lengli said...

That's really weird, a similar thing happened to me last night. I saw a little yellow dog trotting on the sidewalk late last night. I had no clue what to do because it was so late - I didn't want to be knocking on people's doors, plus the dog looked like he knew where he was going and kept to the sidewalk, so I didn't stop but said a little prayer that he would get home all right. I still have a guilty conscience about it, especially after reading your experience.

I absolutely commend you for doing what you did, and am so sorry that you had to go through that. Also being an animal lover, I think animal deaths are the toughest things to deal with because it's usually so senseless. You did positively everything you could do though, and like everyone has been saying, I'm sure the dog was comforted by having someone there with him.

Hugs and fuzzies,
lengli

Paul said...

Well, I don't know what to say, that's pretty horrible story. I have had the honour of watching 2 of my pets die, and it isn't pleasant.

It's usually more difficult to watch or hear about animals suffering than humans. I think it's because I figure animals are more innocent than we are.

Anonymous said...

Here's an update: By some quirk of fate (I posted a brief note of the accident on Pets911, b/c that's where I would look first if my dogs went missing), I spoke to the dog's owner just now. I didn't catch his name, but the lady was obviously so upset. He normally wore a collar with ID in addition to the choke collar, and last night they took it off to brush him or something, she said. He got out the door, I think she said while she was on the phone. Anyway, as sucky as it was to do, I told her the story of what happened and let him know he was in a safe place with someone comforting him as he passed away. I hope it was OK to tell her the truth, because she was so damn upset. But you know, at least she knows and won't always be wondering where he is or who took him or anything like that. I am not good at delivering bad news, but I pray she will be OK. (Even if she didn't neuter the dog; that's beside the point at the moment) Anyway, this drama has officially closed. Thank you again, so very much, for all the comments! I know that people like us are out there, and we're awesome for being compassionate. YOU'RE awesome.
Love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I just wanted to say that I commend you for your actions. I too am an animal fanatic, rescuer and advocate. I am proud of you for the comfort and love you gave the dog in his last few moments. Have you heard of the Rainbow Bridge? I am not religious, hell, I will even go as fas as telling you that I do not believe in any God... but, the Rainbow Bridge is something I would really like to believe in. Here it is:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

my thoughts are with you