Underpants Under Attack
I wasn’t going to blog about something quite personal and embarrassing that happened to me last week, but it’s Monday and I need to write something that cheers me up. And besides, since when have I censored myself and kept strange stories a secret? If I can write about fishing the room key out of a toilet with my bare hands, I can write about this. For whatever reason, this quick little tale I’m about to tell does make me smile…and cringe, and shake my head in disgust.
Last week, my underwear was torn off in the ladies’ restroom here at work.
It doesn’t seem true. But it is true. I wish I was making this up, but alas, I am not. Here’s the story in brief, and please don’t pardon the pun:
There I was. In the bathroom. I was in a stall, doing what I had to do, and when it came time to stand up and pull my underwear back up, that’s when trouble entered the picture. I know I’ve shared before how awful my balance is, and of course, this whole mess wouldn’t have happened if I had a decent sense of balance.
It happened super fast. I stood up, hiked up the ol’ panties, standing on one foot for a brief moment. I stumbled to my left, where my (admittedly cheap and worn-out) underwear caught on the edge of the toilet paper/ seat cover dispenser. At the same time, my other foot came down and pulled my body to the right…but the underpants were stretched beyond their limits and there was a loud tearing noise as the elastic band gave way and the fabric tore down the side.
The best part? A lady was in the stall next to me and heard the ruckus. “Are you OK in there?” I thought I was going to die. What did it sound like to her? A lot of banging around, stumbling, tearing and whispered swearing? Probably. I think I just said something like, “Yeah, I’m OK” and stood there wondering what to do now that my underpants were in shreds.
I also wanted to wait for her to finish up and leave before I exited the stall. Whoever she was, I didn’t want her to see my face. I hoped she wasn’t peeking at my shoes so she could perhaps identify me later in the hallway or something. I intentionally stalled, hanging out by the toilet awaiting my chance to bolt. She finally did leave, and I was free to go.
But first, I had a decision to make regarding said underpants. I was wearing a skirt, and when it was pulled up you could clearly see a torn panty line underneath. All bunched up right near my left hip. Plus it felt incredibly uncomfortable, and like the panties were going to give way and slip down to my ankles when I least expected it. Obviously, this was NOT a chance I was willing to take. Sure, I am clumsy and I also have no problem sharing stories like this one on the internet, but one thing I don’t want to be is The Girl Whose Panties Fell Down to Her Ankles as She Walked to the Copy Machine. Knowing my luck, this would be exactly what would happen. Cripes.
So I decided to trash ‘em. Good bye, sweet panties. I had no choice but to go commando the rest of the day. Luckily, I only had a little over an hour to be in the office, so I just tried not to think about my wounded and brave underpants, laying in the garbage can in the bathroom under a carefully-placed balled up paper towel… because I didn’t want someone to walk in and just see panties lying in the garbage all willy-nilly.
I don’t like going commando, especially in the office. It feels so, so wrong on thousands of levels. That day was just no fun.
Anyway, this is what happened to me, and as strange as it sounds, it is fact. I urge you to practice caution in a closed stall, for you never know when a sharp edge on a wall-mounted dispenser will go after your undergarments. Them things is ruthless.
9 comments:
The chick in the next stall DEFINITELY made a mental note of your shoes so she could check you out later. Make no mistake.
And this story is HILARIOUS!
Priceless...especially the carefully placed wad of paper towels.
I read this post as I was on the way to the loo, myself. It's as if every time you post about bathroom misadventures, I'm headed there, too. Scary.
I don't know why I was surprised to find out that this bathroom story did not have anything to do with some crazy clandestine-sex-at-the-workplace theme.
Maybe you should carry a set of rubber gloves and an extra pair of underwear...
Ahem- only you, Lisa. It could only happen to you.
Say, you weren't wearing that one pair of shoes, were ya? Trying to fly in the restroom now?
Karla-- I thought I heard someone stifling a giggle as I walked past her today...maybe that was the chick. I am wearing the same shoes today. Damn that bitch!
Pixie-- Thanks! I had a moment of wondering if the cleaning ladies had DNA technology at their disposal to track the panties to the person. Luckily for all of us, I don't think the maintenance world has this capability readily available to them--YET.
Smackadocious-- If you had a bathroom disaster of your own, let me know! I don't want to be the only one who has so much trouble once that stall door shuts. Please, help me not be alone in my stall of shame.
Jenius-- Actually, yes, it WAS the same pair of shoes. They're evil wedge sandals, and they really MUST go. Alas, I love the way they look and I only have a few work-friendly pair of black shoes at the moment so I've had a hard time letting 'em go. And go they should! They're done more than enough damage.
I agree with you, those sandals need to go. They are posessed.
I hate to say this, but this post made me laugh so hard. Not at you falling because that totally sucks. But the fact that your underwear ripped off. That is a once in a lifetime thing that happened. Never will you say "My underwear ripped off" ever again.
Here is a similar story that will, hopefully make you laugh. Back in 2000, I was walking through the hallway at work. I had on a snap in the front bra. Well, the snap broke and the twins FELL OUT. Now you don't know me, so I have to tell you, that I am big on top. (size DD) So you can imagine the horror on my face when they "let loose" in the middle of the office. I was allowed to go home and put on a new bra. How embarrassing.
Sorry for another comment but I wanted to know if you know of that song, um... um.. Well I am not sure what it is called but the lyrics go something like, "Puppy dog freeze, I'm in trouble-ty."
he he... :)
LOLOLOLOLOL!!! That's an awesome story! I would have gone commando too.....but c'mon...you must have liked the "I know something you don't know..." feeling! Golden! :)
Oh mah gah. Hee.
Actually I need to stop laughing, because that could TOTALLY happen to me.
(Wait, you mean everyone doesn't worry about the chick in the next stall making note of your shoes so she can identify you later?)
Post a Comment