Tuesday, December 23, 2003

The office is moving to a new building on Monday. In the meantime, the atmosphere around here is so strange. Everything we have has to be labeled, including the chairs. This cracks me up for some reason. Sticking coded labels on the chairs and securing them with tape... this is not what I went to school for. Then again, my whole job is not what I went to school for.

Today is the final full workday before The Move. People are allowed to wear crappy clothes today because they are in packing mode. There are boxes piled everywhere, and these boxes are making me want to move them around and make forts. Perhaps me and the sales guys could have a war. I would win, because Malcolm is here with me today. I will be able to capture precious fort territory when I send Malcolm out into No Man's Land. His CUTE will stop the fighting. What am I talking about? Forts? Wars? Jeez, it's Christmas. Tidings of comfort and joy and all that. I need to get with the Jingle program.

Also, lots of dust is being kicked up in all this packing. I am sneezing a lot as I try to type. This is not doing wonders for my keyboard. I'm going to have to employ the Clorox wipes before the day is through.

The most amusing thing about this upcoming move is that someone has taken down the hot dog picture. Yes, the oversized photo of a juicy, delicious hot dog (on a bun and everything) has been taken down from the kitchen and labeled. It is coming with us! Someone had to take it down and label it; someone has already thought of where in the new building the glorious hot dog artwork is going to be hung. I have been laughing over this hot dog for two years now. Every time I go in the kitchen, I can't help but notice this gigantic HOT DOG leering down at everyone who dares to rummage through the Candy/Snack Tray(tm) or operate the microwave. It's very sobering to realize a large hot dog model is watching your every culinary move. If it's not the bosses watching what you are doing at your desk, it's the fancy pork product lording it over you as you try to eat or snack. Never a moment's rest around here.

Malcolm is asleep already. He is obviously unaffected by The Move. I think I will curl up behind my desk and go to sleep, too. Because I am also unaffected. I just decided.

No comments: