This was a nice Christmas. I also noticed that this was the first Christmas that I stayed calm throughout. Whenever someone close to me freaked out or got all stressed about something (this could have ranged from the church situation to what size plates go on the table at breakfast, and did), I kept myself calm and ended up laughing off the dumber crisis. I am glad that Christmas went well, and that everyone enjoyed my cooking and my handmade Craft-gifts, but I am also excited that Christmas is over for another year!
No more planning out my budgets--nothing but rampant spending from here on out. Seriously though, the gift-buying frenzy has dissipated once and for 364 days. I also don't have to think about the question that become 2003's Most Asked Question: "Who's baking the lasanga?" See, there was a big controversy going on between my Mom, my sister and me about who would be making this pasta treat for our family dinner. For awhile it seemed Trish was doing it. Then my Mom. Then Trish would make the sauce for it and I would prepare the lasagna. Then , confusion set in when any one of us would talk on the phone with any of the others. It became something like a "who's on first?" routine after awhile. Finally, it was decided once and for all that Trish would make the sauce and the ice cream pie for dessert (and if you don't think that isn't delicious, you're crazy!), I would make the dinner itself, including salad, and Mom would buy the bread. Of course, on Christmas Eve, my mom suckered me into buying the bread so she was the only one who did nothing.
I also made some fantastic cinnamon french toast yesterday morning that everyone agreed was yummy. I was a cooking dynamo. Luckily, this was only for one day and I can now return to my slacker-chef ways (dinners must be prepared in under 15 minutes or I am just going to eat out somewhere).
The gifts were all nice. I received many lovely things, including some DVDs and wine glasses. Up until yesterday, I did not have wine glasses, so whenever people want to drink in our house they needed to use Solo cups. I am all growed up now. The best gift was a DVD/VCR combo Tom presented to me early. And, the photo album my Mom assembled for me with old pictures of me as a little kid. Trish got one, too, and we agreed it was the most personal gift exchanged.
But then, after gifts and eating was slowing down, I started to want some serious alone time; just so I could read and chill out after this two-day blowout. Trish and Kane hung around for awhile after dinner; we were a little buzzed on Lancer wine and watched some of the "Honeymooners" off the new DVD set I'd just opened; and then more Mystery Science Theatre. Trish fell asleep, but Kane and I were cracking up over the bread wholesaler short and some other stuff. It was fun.
And now, today is the day after Christmas, and it is starting to get dark out. Tonight, I am supposed to go see "Return of the King" with Trish and Kane. I also need to document the fact that I did two loads of laundry and washed the dog today. I feel productive and happy, although a little full of too much food.
And again, thank God Christmas is over! Now on to the rest of the winter already.
No comments:
Post a Comment