Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween is super fantastic this year. I want to post some pictures up here but alas, I am at work and do not have the hook-up to do so here. Trish has a picture on her blog though, as does Kane. But for anyone curious in seeing what I happened to take with my camera while I was a little bleary-eyed and drunkish this past Saturday evening… I will attempt to post some photos by this evening if I can swing it.

I went as Tippi Hedren from “The Birds” this year. I got an old suit from Savers, and a bunch of fake birds and attached them all over myself. I used a toothpick dipped in red makeup to simulate scratches and pecks, and did one bigger “cheek abrasion” because she has one like that in the movie. It turned out pretty decent, considering I had to get dressed super fast before the party and everything. And Greg went as “Ash” from the Evil Dead movies, and he looked really great, too. I must say, this holiday solidified just how much I care for him. We meshed really well in pulling this party together and in all of our Halloween thoughts and ideas. I felt giddy all weekend! And I still do…!

Moving on…

Like I said earlier, I am at work at the moment, and I am kind of between projects. Last week I worked my ass off here to get things completed and it paid off, since they are all done. I know I have some bigger projects coming up soon, but I need to wait for more information in order to proceed. I hate that. When you are the quickest little asshole and you need to wait for the other assholes to catch up. Still, it gives me some time to do word finds (I have one of those tiny little word find books they sell at the checkout in the food store at my desk, hiding under a manila folder) and occasionally, when no one is looking, pull out “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” and get a little reading done.

I hate to go all Potter on you all, but damn, this book is good so far. Don’t anyone dare tell me any details because I am only about 2/3 of the way through it, but I have been getting into it in a big way all of the sudden. I attribute my fervor to the fact that it’s so layered and detailed, and I have to keep visiting Harry Potter Facts in order to refresh my memory on ancillary characters from the previous books and events that happened in books 4 or 5. (I never really retain much from these books, from one to the next, so this site has been awesome) I also think I am getting psyched for NaNoWriMo, and it’s so fun to read something like Harry Potter to gear up. I’m noticing more about the way the story is unfolding, and thinking about the question of “why I care” as I get ready to start my new book. JK Rowling is definitely an incredible storyteller, and I am very happy that the younger kids who are reading these books are probably going to grow up with a strong appreciation for fun fiction and in-depth storytelling. I wish these books came out while I was still a kid—maybe I wouldn’t have wasted so many hours reading the Babysitter’s Club books by Ann M. Martin. Who knows the full extent of the damage to my writing skills those books caused. Well… I am trying NOT to think about it, really. But I know this much, Ms. Martin: the first publisher who turns down my book and says my writing is crappy, I am coming after you with a sawed off shotgun. I promise.

One final thought on NaNoWriMo before I head off to lunch: I know a lot of people are stressing out and stuff, worried about what to write about or how to structure the book, and I am wondering if there is something wrong with me that I am not stressing out. Now I know me, and I stress A LOT, about pretty much everything in my life. Yet this is curiously not stressful. I don’t know why! I just know I plan to write at least 1,700 words a day. I can do that since the things I write for work in a couple of hours are usually closer to the 2,000 mark. I just plan to go along for the ride and see what this character comes up with. She has a month of my time and attention, and I have no idea what the hell she’s going to say. I am really excited for her visit, though. I hope my lack of planning or stress is not a negative sign. Probably not. But still… is it true, am I finally learning not to stress out? That would be awesome if it were true.

Now if I can just figure out a way to kill off some Babysitters in my book, the circle will be complete and I can move on with my professional (and personal) development.

No comments: