Tuesday, October 04, 2005


Well, I brought the car in to get the brakes repaired this morning. Standard procedure; they needed to give me new brake pads and new fluid (no rotor work needed). Then I asked for an oil change. They obliged, and changed my oil.
However, I didn't ask them to tear off my driver's side door.
Yet... this is precisely what the repair shop did.

The story is that they had completed the repair and proceded to back it out of the bay so they could park it outside. But the driver's side door was still open, and it hit a huge pile of tires and bent all the way backwards and fell off. "Tommy Boy"-style. ("What did you DO?!")

I had to laugh, because this is the sort of thing that would happen to me just a couple days before my father gets here for a weeklong visit. However, since it was the error of the repair shop, they are paying for me to have the use of a rental car for two weeks while they fix my poor car. I just picked up a Jeep Liberty-- it's pretty nice, and it will do the trick of shuttling the 'fam around while we tour the wonderous state of AZ. But it's not *my* car, ya know? I have a moonroof, and everything just feels right. This car is tall, smells new (unlike a lot of people, I am not too jazzed with the new car smell thing) and it's not that easy to see clearly when you back up. Either way, at least the shop is paying for it, as well as extra insurance. I don't mean to complain too much, really... but I did feel the need to whine just a little, tiny bit.

The picture above was taken on Sept. 11, when my car broke down the last time. The sunbeams shower down like me and the Rav are blessed; when, these days, it feels like we are anything but. My poor sweet Violet (yes, I named my car. Now shut up about it) is injured and I can't wait for her to come back out of the car hospital with a new shiny door. Without dents. That's the good thing about this: the new door should be dentless. I had quite a few dings and dents in that door from being really unskilled at opening my door near columns and other cars. I was thinking of taking the car in to get those things hammered out, or sucked out, or whatever they do with dents in car doors nowadays, but now I don't have to pay for the removal of dents. Maybe the good lord was shining down on me, after all. Interesting.

5 comments:

Christina said...

Seriously? You don't like the new car smell? Do you hate puppies, too????

I'm very sorry to hear about your car. I would lend you my car, but by the time I'd drive it out to Arizona, your old one would be out of the shop, and anyway, how the hell would I get back to Philly? That's a ridiculous idea, Lisa.

Brooke said...

The universe is working in your favor. That's always nice. Hope poor Violet is on the mend soon...

Lisa Armsweat said...

Lani-- No, but I have been gaining weight, so I am my own variation on "fat guy in a little coat." Ugh.

TPP-- Puppies? Come on, I am not a communist! It's kittens I hate. And we would find a way to get you back to Philly easy enough. Why the hell else would I keep this gigantic flock of carrier pigeons around, if not to scoop people up by their clothing and carry them across the land?

Georgia-- Thanks, it does look that way. I am excited to see how shiny Violet will be when I pick her up again in a couple of weeks. Shiny things are my number one weakness. (Next to sugar-- god damn it anyway!! I hate sugar and wish it was never born!)

Robert said...

That's pretty funny, horrible ironic funny, not 'ha ha funny.'

Back in California, I brought my car to have an oil change and they locked my keys in the car. At the time, I didn't have a spare key. At least I got a free oil change out of it.

Anonymous said...

poor RAV4...just when you think you have her back...they pull her away again! and hey, is that damn shop going to spot you a few extra $20's to gas up that gas-guzzlin' Jeep or what? i don't think it will get nearly as many miles per gallon as our little RAVs do.
with deepest sympathy, lisahanson