Everyone else is doing this list-thing, so I wanted to join in on the fun, too. Lani kind of started it when she pseudo-tagged everyone, so here I go. And I go mostly because I can’t think of another thing to blog about at the moment.
I just realized this is pretty much the standard thing people write as their “lead in copy” when they answer these things. Only I didn’t say “I really hate these things, but…” I don’t hate them. I think they can be interesting to read sometimes. I have a hard time completing one myself, but I love being the voyeur knowing all about the lives and times of the Bloggers.
Well, on to the answers, I s’pose…
Four Jobs I Have Had:
1) Clerk at drugstore: I stocked shelves, worked the register, gave old people their little white bags with their prescriptions inside, sold lottery tickets and cigarettes, and did free gift wrapping. I liked this job a lot because I had fun with the other people who worked there, and we got an awesome discount on everything (OK, we stole a lot of it) and I had more nail polish and shampoo in those years than I ever have had since.
2) Video store clerk: Best job ever--free movie rentals, access to new movies before they come out (screeners!), sit around and watch movies when it is slow, OR play pinball when it is slow, getting to know “the regulars” and what’s going on in their lives… man, I loved it. Wish that the movie rental racket was still a business you could go into on your own, and not monopolized by two big chains. I’d definitely have a store to support my writing habit!
3) Editor of five different trade magazines: Technically, I held this title at two different companies/jobs, but it was the same thing: I wrote about, planned the content of, traveled to trade shows for, and basically did a ton of thankless work every month on magazines for the following industries: carwashing; infection control (sterilization in hospitals and stuff like that); marinas and boatyards; buses and motorcoaches. The fifth magazine didn’t really print more than one issue since the company killed it due to poor sales (and sabotage, but that’s a whole other thing right there I won’t get into), but it was one I launched myself and it was on stagecraft and technical theater.
4) “Writer”: Yeah, so this is my current title, and it means that I basically “write” things for my company’s affiliate department. I write pretty much all the lame stuff for websites, brochures, manuals, order drops, news alerts, and I even ghostwrite letters for people. If it has words in there somewhere, guaranteed it ends up on my desk. I keep the word “writer” in quotation marks here because I am not doing the kind of writing I always thought I would be doing when I grew up. So while I am officially titled a “writer,” I strive and work on being a real WRITER outside of work and in the future. This is butt-monkey stuff, here.
Four movies I could watch over and over again:
1) Wet Hot American Summer
2) Better Off Dead
3) The Jerk
4) Billy Madison (I like a lot of serious movies, too, it’s just these are the first 4 that came to mind. For economy’s sake, I need to move on and not be so lengthy in my answers, so… on to the next thing)
Four TV Shows I love to watch:
1) Arrested Development (pleasecontinueonShowtime!!!)
2) Buffy or Angel (yeah, I don’t watch a lot of things that are still on the air)
3) The Office (OK, there’s one!)
4) Northern Exposure (…nope, I am back to the DVDs again. I just can’t shake a good show when I find one.)
Four places I have been to on vacation:
1) Disney World, Epcot, Sea World and Universal in one action-packed trip
2) Lake George, NY (hey, didn’t I see you standing on the pier next to the Minnehaha cruise boat? If you get that reference, come here and give me a kiss!)
3) San Francisco, CA (Setting for the best bike ride ever--and worst Chinese food hyped by a concierge. Never listen to the concierge.)
4) Martha’s Vineyard, MA (my family rented a Jeep and I recall bouncing around in the backseat as we drove to the spot overlooking the nude beach. Also, there was a shark fishing tourney going on, so we saw a lot of dead sharks and blood.)
Four websites I visit daily:
1) All the blogs. I’m addicted.
2) AZCentral.com
3) Yahoo for my e-mail and ‘news’
4) Bank of America. (“Am I still poor today?”)
Four of my favorite foods:
1) Fresh-cut strawberries
2) Pasta w/ marinara and occasionally, alfredo.
3) Green salad
4) Greg’s chicken (he does a wicked marinade and knows how to use sea salt to its full advantage!)
Four places I would rather be right now:
1) Home with Greg
2) Deep Cut Park in Middletown, NJ (but it has to be on an early summer day)
3) Any beach in San Diego (or on Coronado)
4) About to enter the office of a publisher who tells me that yes, they would love to publish my books, and here is a contract to write three more…
There! I feel a sense of accomplishment now that I have done this little meme. It only took me all day, in between silly work interruptions and stuff like that. This work thing is really starting to cut into my Me Time. Or, you could say it is cutting into my Meme Time. ...Oh! See what I did there? Hot damn in a basket; that was hilarious.
Oh, and I am not tagging anyone. Know why? No one ever tags me directly and I am an angry bitch about it. Also, tagging people to do memes can give you cancer of the butt, so be forewarned.
1 comment:
That was hilarious. Journalism is a meat grinder. It is thankless at times. What got me was helping other people, places, things but not necessarily myself. It does do wonders for one's understanding of the vapidity of most all journalism. Does the term advertorial seem familiar?
--O'Grady
Just because ppl don't tag doesn't mean there aren't dozens of lurking eyes. One dozen eyes = 6 ppl. Generally speaking.
Post a Comment