Saturday, March 18, 2006

Wow, this blog has some problems. The comments are unreachable for some reason, so I thought I would test this with a new post.

We saw V for Vendetta last night, and we loved it! I don't think it's for everyone but I enjoy the fact that it's a mainstream movie that gets into some complicated topics. I loved that about the book, too, of course. The movie is different from the book (Greg said V is more humanized in the movie than the book, which has both pluses [audience has something they can latch onto and care about, somethings they can identify with to make the subject matter easier to understand and care about] and minuses [is it more effective when V gives up all of his human characteristics and feelings of love because the man has become the Idea? Possibly. But again, I think they changed it to make it more palpable to the public. And that's the other reason it sucks: why does the movie industry believe AUDIENCES NEED THINGS HAND-FED TO THEM? Why don't they respect our intelligence more?]). Even though the movie and book have their differences, I feel that both stories work wonderfully.

Oh, and for the record, that much-talked about hair-shaving scene for Natalie Portman? It happens quickly and is definitely NOT the thing anyone should be latching onto when they discuss this movie. I've hated how the media always brings up the fact that she shaved her head for this movie--ooh, beautiful woman uglies herself!--when they could be talking about the themes and ideas in the movie. Also, she is really a kick-ass actress in all regards. You totally forget it's The Beautiful Natalie Portman, Harvard Student and Sweet Actress Extraordinaire. You go, Natalie, because you've got a talent practically no other actresses your age possess.

OK, one more thing... Hugo Weaving was good too, and you never once see his face. The lips on the mask never move. Once in awhile I realized everyone was talking to a mask, but when you think of it and accept it in the context of what V is about, it makes perfect sense. (And Ben Miles, who played Patrick on the BBC and only-version-that-matters Coupling is in the movie! Score one for the man with the Cupboard of Love!)

I hope this post works. If not I might have to go live out in the desert and eat scrubby little trees and get dehydrated and die. A lot's riding on this one, blogger, don't let me down!

2 comments:

Paul said...

THe comments seem to work.

Anonymous said...

excellent use of parentheticals!

and as for the head shaving...I would shave my head for far less money than Natalie did. Besides, when you're beautiful, you will still be beautiful. Oh, and I agree, she is a fabulous actress.