Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Today is weird. I am hungry as hell right now, but don't feel like making anything. Why do we get like that? Is it a lazy-human thing, or just a lazy-Lisa thing?

I will also not lie to you-- I am prone to depression, you see, and I was taking Lexapro for a year. I have been weaning off of this for over 2 months now, and this past weekend was the final pill. I am currently going through the worst withdrawal symptoms I have ever felt. Dizziness, headaches, a red, flushed face for some reason, and something that feels like "brain freeze" every hour or so...it's really gross. Please don't take this prescription-- I know there are other prescriptions that can help depression without this shit.

Withdrawal from anything must suck. I never had to deal with this before. The worst I'd felt before this was when I would not have caffeine for a day or so and I would get that caffeine-withdrawal headache. Nothing like this. I don't have an addictive personality so I've been lucky enough to not have to deal with quitting smoking, drinking or anything like that. Seriously, if you have had to deal with going off any of those substances, I have a lot of respect and best-wishes to send out to you, my friends. Wow.

Maybe we can all go off and live in the woods somewhere, away from all these substances. We can drink from a pure mountain stream, and grow our own food in clean soil and frolic in the sunshine with the children. Sound good to you? Right, then! Let's leave at sunrise tomorrow! I will bring the toothpaste.

...

Oh, damn it anyway! We are doomed already--toothpaste is a gateway substance to the evils of society! EVERYONE knows that. Crap!

I guess we shouldn't go. Or, we go and let our teeth rot.

What's the consensus? Vote now.

6 comments:

Brooke said...

Teeth are important. Is there any way we could just take a lot of baking soda and mix up our own, with water from the cool mountain spring? It'll be like Tom's of Maine only without the peppermint flavor. Unless we find some peppermint growing in the woods.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. A friend of mine has been slowing going off her meds for the last few months and it's been hard for her, too. She's finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope that moment comes quickly for you, to.

Smackadocious said...

Hey, have been away from the blogging for a while, recently checked in. Used to work with kids/teenagers who were prescribed Lexapro, Zoloft, Seroquel, amongst other things. Hope you start feeling better.

A friend of mine, a nurse practitioner who prescribes these meds, stressed to me recently the importance of staying on your weaning schedule. She also stressed the importance of letting the medication get out of your system, but also being on top of how you feel after you have been off it for a while. Have no idea why she brought that up out of the blue (please do not insert Debbie Gibson lyric here), as I was not going through that situation myself.

Maybe it was some cosmic message for me to get back to reading your blog. Oooooh, weird :)

Again, I hope you start feeling better soon.

Christina said...

Oy. I take Lexapro and have tried -- unsuccessfully -- to wean off of it several times. It's awful. And yet it's legal. Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the withdrawal symptoms. I know how crappy coming off of medication can make you feel. Hope you're feeling better soon

Lisa Armsweat said...

Thanks for everything. I know it will be better soon, so I feel good knowing there's an end in sight. I just wish I had known all about this particular drug before I agreed to take it. I also suspect it could be behind my huge upsurge in migraines over the past year... coincidence? I think not.

Really, you guys just rock, pure and simple, for all your nice comments and support. That's why blogs are so cool.

Christina said...

Lisa - I actually take Lexapro to control my migraines (as well as control my craziness). My doctor told me that one of the side effects, however, is that it can cause headaches. Which makes no sense. Kind of like taking Nexium and then getting stomach cramping.