Yesterday in Sweet Tomatoes, Greg and I overheard the following in conversations around us:
“Well, I’m gonna go and check out the soups!”
”They have The. Best. Soups. Here. The salad is starting to grow on me, though.”
Conclusion: Old guys love talking about soup.
Also: the word “soups” is funny.
I don’t really care for soup. Soup is too hot for my mouth. I also don’t drink hot beverages, like tea or coffee. Sure, I have some hot chocolate, but that’s it… and to be honest, any hot chocolate I put into my mouth has to be “cooled down” first with either milk or a shitload of whipped cream. I burn my mouth easier than anyone I know. This, of course, makes the consumption of soup difficult.
My sister and Mom have a thing for homemade vegetable soup. Trish makes a big deal about it—“oh Mom, you have to make your soup, please make your soup, whinewhinewhine…”—and my Mom sometimes gives in and makes it. Not always, though. Mom’s reached the age where she has figured out that her kids can cook for themselves, damn it, so if they want soup they can probably just make their own damn soup. The thing is: I can appreciate this soup my Mom makes. It really is pretty tasty. However, I won’t seek it out, and many times I just won’t even try it if it is there as part of a meal, and I will never just order the soup over the salad, no matter what. I ALWAYS go for the salad. Always.
When I get sick and I am puking all over the goddamn place, the first food I usually want to eat when I can keep solid food down again is salad. That, or a sandwich with a lot of vegetables and a ton of red wine vinegar. I know they tell you to eat crackers and chicken soup or something, but I want the roughage and the vinegar. I’m almost positive Trish has the same quirk with wanting lettuce after vomiting. We are salad junkies. We used to come home from school and put some iceberg lettuce in a cereal bowl, smother it in Wishbone dressing (Italian for her, French for me) and eat that crap as we watched “Splash” or “Ghostbusters” for the millionth time.
I just love salad. I can eat it any time of the day, except for breakfast, maybe. I can eat it on my lap or at a table! Sometimes, in my car or sitting on a floor, in the dark. And I am somewhat flexible on the toppings. Let’s say I am having chicken on my salad. I can enjoy it equally if the chicken is cold, or if it is warm chicken. I don’t stress out about it. I keep an open mind. I can have cucumbers, or carrots, it doesn’t matter which. Sure, croutons. Throw those hardened bread-nuggets on there. I’ll take ‘em. HOWEVER: Dressing is the thing that can make or break a good salad. I don’t like the “creamies.” Creamies include ranch, blue cheese, thousand island or Russian. I love the vinaigrettes, though. The Italians—especially homemade. The French(es): red, honey French, creamy French (my only exception to the creamy rule). I won’t name names, but I know someone who is so enamored with a certain type of dressing that she will lick the plate/bowl clean after a salad, just to get all the remaining remnants of dressing.
My point is: no on the soup. I wish I could understand the mythology surrounding the American Soup Culture, with the biscuits and the oyster crackers or whatever, and the difference between the chowders, but the day they were handing out the Soup-Wanting-Gene, I must have been frigging around somewhere else… probably puking and eating salad on a continuous loop.
7 comments:
I'm with you on the vinaigrettes .. hmm, Balsamic Vinaigrette .. so simple, and yet so tasty.
I wish I had gotten the salad gene. I tried being a vegetarian once, but got so annoyed that it took me at least a half an hour of eating lettuce to even remotely feel sated. Also, I fainted a lot from the lack of protein. If only I did enjoy salads more, I would feel like a better, more balanced person, happy to be getting my daily dose of veg.
MMM, salad. Lengli, might I suggest something called a "Meat Salad"? Take various meats and toss away! Ha ha, 'tossin' the meats'.
And Rae, we can have lunch again when I am not all the way up in the freakin' Airpark and you are not all the way downtown. Our worlds so rarely converge.
So whaty if I lick the salad plate clean?? At least I'm not the one licking carpet!!
Hoe!(and not of the garden variety)
I'm glad we have moved far beyond out iceberg lettuce-n-dressing days. Those were dark, malnurished times.
Green is bad.
Green is very evil.
Salad is mostly green.
Therefore, salad is at least mostly evil.
I'm more of a stew kind of guy anyway.
My after-school-salad was iceberg in the cereal bowl with Ranch. I was very fond of the "creamies" back then. However, I have now progressed into a dedicated honeymustard or basalmic vinegarette phase. How weird to think that the salads of my childhood revolved around iceberg lettuce and now I can't stand the stuff. I love me some dark, leafy greens now! Damn, I love salads!!!!!
Here's to you, Salad....
I used to eat bowls of broccoli or iceberg lettuce with salt for my after-school snack. My little sister ate butter though.
Post a Comment